SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Odd handgun stance from TV shows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd handgun stance from TV shows Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I first noticed it on "Person of Interest" (a decent show, BTW) and since have seen it elsewhere.

The grip on the pistol appears pretty standard, weak hand wrapped around the strong hand, thumbs layered.

The odd part is that the strong elbow is bent at about a 45° angle, the wrist is cocked to bring the gun back to level and everything is very close to the body.

Is this some sort of tacticool hotshit operator technique or Hollywood bullshit?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I watch Jerry Miculek training videos and he does not do this.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Center axis lock? Or something like that?

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Center axis lock? Or something like that?

Yeah, that's close. I'll have to watch for it next episode. Seems to me the elbow is down on the show where it's out parallel to the ground in the pictures of CAR (Center Axis Relock).

Interesting. I'll have to do a little reading on that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this some sort of tacticool hotshit operator technique or Hollywood bullshit?

Probably Hollywood BS, since guns are never fired with live ammunition that recoils, but if he had a good grip on the gun, it would make some sense if the bad guy(s) are within a few feet. Holding the gun straight out at the end of his arms would make it easier for them to grab, arm-block or deflect his shot.

Back in the 1990s I read some gun rag articles about Steven Seagal, who, whatever you think of his movies or lately his hair, is a pretty good shot. As it was explained, he held the gun fairly close to his face as well, with the arms bent and the elbows splayed out in a horizontal plane, similar to the grip one might use on a big sword. This would work a lot better for a big burly guy than a skinny guy like myself.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Guess the Hollywood "teacup" isn't cool enough anymore?

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Like this? This stance is used by John Wick a couple of times during the night club scene, mainly for rapid engagement of close targets.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it is done to keep the gun and the actors face in the frame better.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There certainly could be circumstances under which it would not be advisable to extend one’s gun at full arms length toward a target and yet when the close quarters stance with the gun pulled back as close to the body as possible wouldn’t be optimal either.

But for entertainment businesses’ purposes those considerations would be secondary to dramatic effect.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
That is a variation of the classic weaver stance. I've seen a lot of 3 gun shooters use this to get quick accurate aimed fire during the pistol phase. A few of you will condemn this technique as bullshit hollywood, but I'll just say "What ever works for the shooter".

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Probably Hollywood BS,

Well, looking at the John Wick captures, one should keep in mind that Keanu Reeves spent a lot of time training with Taran Butler

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Probably Hollywood BS,

Well, looking at the John Wick captures, one should keep in mind that Keanu Reeves spent a lot of time training with Taran Butler

You have to realize that didn't come from Taran. That came from a previous instructor he worked with in the first movie, and is likely a hold over from the first movie. He didn't train with Taran until the second movie.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post