SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Inglorious Bastards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inglorious Bastards Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So I just, painfully, sat through this and have a question or two; Is the movie a parody with comical intent pre was the entertainment value hidden elsewhere?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's just your typical Tarantino ultra-violent, chatty cathy movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I loved it. I wouldn’t call it comedy or parody but certainly not straight history. The dialog and suspense building were awesome.

It’s Tarantino, like has been said. One can argue he is a one trick pony schlock purveyor or a genious at turning movie Types on their side. I think somewhere in the middle and an argument can be made for either. That being said I generally like most of his stuff and mostly for the dialogue and suspense building.

The meeting in the basement was awesome.

All that being said I can totally see how folks would hate it and his stuff in general.

That and he seems like a jackass in real life but I digress.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Painfully? How so?

A parody? Cheeky, sure, but no more so than Pulp Fiction or bits of Reservoir Dogs, etc.

What wasn't entertaining about it, for you?

The opening scenes with Waltz/Landa in the farmhouse are quite good, the interactions between Shoshana and Zoller were good, the scene with Shoshana and Landa in the restaurant, the scenes in the Pub, etc., the raging Hitler and the Private Butz parts.

Do you like other Tarantino films?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I liked Inglorious Bastards...mostly.

But I watched The Hateful Eight last night and thought it really missed the mark IMO. I wasn't bad, it just wasn't much anything. Like he's remaking movies in different settings. At no point did I feel this is new, I'd seen it all before.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I liked Inglorious Bastards...mostly.

But I watched The Hateful Eight last night and thought it really missed the mark IMO. I wasn't bad, it just wasn't much anything. Like he's remaking movies in different settings. At no point did I feel this is new, I'd seen it all before.

I agree, didn't like Hateful 8, and I like all of QT's stuff, save for DJANGO. I found Basterds to be up there with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just typical over-the-top Tarantino. Everything is a cartoonish / caricature...

IMO he does basically one type of film - just change the setting.

I liked the Lt Aldo Raine speech by Brad Pitt.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I like most QT stuff and loved Hateful 8. Love IB, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Man, I love that movie! What didn't you like about it?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Inglorious Bastards was the last Tarantino film I've watched. I thought it was very good, particularly the first scenes at the farmhouse and the basement of the bar.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I love the movie. So many memorable scenes and dialog. The bar sequence is a classic.

And who can forget "You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Since there are Nazis involved, I feel it's necessary to point out that the correct spelling is:

Inglourious Basterds Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Bingo!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Don’t feel too bad. I finally foreced myself to watch it not too long ago. I’m glad I saw it, for some of the occasional references, but my life as a whole is unchanged because of it. Just sort of “meh” in my mind.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago i saw PF, the Rd. Everyone told me how great they were. I was bored out of my mind. KB1,KB2, IB are worse imho. Meh is even to good. Eh is about right.

There are dozens of older films that i like far more. Frankly, i would rather watch bridges of madison county. Which is the only movie i paid for and walked out on.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this movie and while I've discovered I dont share his political views at all (shocker I know), I like all his films except hateful 8. Which is weird because I like all the people in it. If I remember correctly he was heavy into BLM around the time Hateful 8 was being made so I think, like most of the idiots who get caught up in that fashionable hysteria, it showed in his work.

I think his movies are polarizing with most people either liking or disliking them. If you're not into his formula then you'll likely not be entertained.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I liked the film and we discussed it extensively here, but after Tarantino's pandering to the black people he so very much wants to be Roll Eyes , I'll probably never again watch any of his films, and I will certainly never see anything new he puts out. That's a promise. I won't ever again willingly view even one single frame of any new film of his.

If you ask me, the guy is insane. Seriously, the guy ain't right in the head. No normal person thinks the way this guy does and no normal person would fixate on pointless minutiae the way this guy does. He's functional for sure, but I do not consider him sane, and after his shameless pandering and his stupid remarks against the police who protect him, he can go fuck himself. He can die today AFAIC. It would be just fine with me.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Movie could have been way better... Kurasowa hydrants of blood would have been a start.

Beating of Nazis was kinda lack-lustre for the somewhat "dark camp" tone of the film.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Didn't love it. Without that core of actors it would have been a terrible movie. Actually every scene has fantastic acting when brad Pitt and his crew is not in it. I think they brought it down.
The scene where Landa and Shoshanna are eating strudel is my favorite.
Daniel Bruel (sp) was great. I am looking forward to his new series coming out.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
It introduced me to Christoph Waltz. It was worth it for that alone.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post