SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Karen Carpenter - one of the best female singers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karen Carpenter - one of the best female singers Login/Join 
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, etc. and never was much of a pop music listener. I have almost no pop in my music library but I do have a copy of "The Carpenters Singles 1969-1973" in the form of a Japanese SHM audiophile CD. I currently listen to anything from classical to ear-bleeding metal but I've always had an appreciation for The Carpenters. Even with the 70s bubblegum style of some songs Karen Carpenter's amazing voice made them enjoyable to listen to. Pure raw talent cuts through genres.

Even back in the 70s when it wasn't as "cool" for rock/metal guys to be seen listening to radio pop many record collections contained Carpenters albums (even if they were hidden towards the back). When discovered it was amusing to hear some guys claim it was their girlfriend's or sister's album when you knew damn well they bought it themselves.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I was a closet Carpenters fan back in the 70's along with others like Johnny Rivers. You just didn't admit listening to that stuff with your buddies. It was The Doors, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath or shut up.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
One of the best? She was.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Angelic. Just angelic.

https://youtu.be/HDp9b9eYoLM

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
- Yoda

Big Grin

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
So I rediscover Karen Carpenter last week, and last night on the way to the grocery store I see a sign for an upcoming Carpenters cover concert. Michelle Berting Brett from Saskatchewan performs Carpenters songs and she does pretty good. Tickets for the show are $32 plus service fee and I think I'd just as soon see the real deal on youtube.

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
- Yoda
Big Grin
You did there. I see what.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
She's been featured on one of the cable channel documentaries. Shame what the eating disorder did to her.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
So I rediscover Karen Carpenter last week, and last night on the way to the grocery store I see a sign for an upcoming Carpenters cover concert. Michelle Berting Brett from Saskatchewan performs Carpenters songs and she does pretty good. Tickets for the show are $32 plus service fee and I think I'd just as soon see the real deal on youtube.

You should go, you never know what you may miss.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Karen Carpenter Died Today 2/4/83 age 32.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
32! Such a shame!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post