SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Old school actors who played tough guys who WERE tough guys.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old school actors who played tough guys who WERE tough guys. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have recently watched a couple old flicks with Lee Marvin and it comes to me just how different some of these old guys were vs new / current tough guy actors.

You look at Lee Marvin and you really get that this dude WAS A REAL BAD ASS. He wasn’t acting.

Just musing about an observation. Some of these old Hollywood heroes really were been there done that bad asses.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Charles Durning.

U.S. Army. Normandy Invasion. CIB. Silver Star. Bronze Star. Three Purple Hearts.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Audie Murphy

Jimmy Stewart

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis Farina impressed me as the real deal.
And Robert Montgomery had an excellent war record.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Christopher Lee
Steve Buscemi
James Doohan
Mel Brooks
Clark Gable
Douglas Fairbanks Jr
Charles Bronson
Dennis Franz

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bruce Lee
Robert Conrad
Robert Mitchum

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
How about Steve Buscemi. He was originally a firefighter before he became an actor. After 9/11 he returned to his old fire station and worked 12 hour shifts.

I think both James Doohan, Scotty, and Charles Bronson were wounded during the war.

Can't leave out Bruce Lee. He was a badass martial artist just like in his movies.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Bruce Lee
Robert Conrad
Robert Mitchum

Yeah, Mitchum was the guy who immediately came to my mind.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
How did we miss Chuck Norris? Have you seen what he can do to a Total Gym?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Neville Brand.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David Niven. Rifle brigade, later joined the British Commandos. Fought in Normandy & the Battle of the Bulge. Retired as Lt. Col.

Would rarely talk about his service & never about the war.

"I will, however, tell you just one thing about the war, my first story and my last. I was asked by some American friends to search out the grave of their son near Bastogne.
I found it where they told me I would, but it was among 27,000 others, and I told myself that here, Niven, were 27,000 reasons why you should keep your mouth shut after the war."

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aldo Ray:
In 1944, at age 18,he entered the United States Navy and served as a frogman until 1946; he saw action at Okinawa with UDT-17.

Ernest Borgnine served 10 years in the Navy.

Clint Walker - Merchant Marine

I watched a show on Sunday about Jimmy Stewart.
It took him two tries to join the Army. The first time they deemed him under weight and the second time he made it by one ounce. He took a $5500 pay cut and enlisted as an E-1 Private.

It took him numerous tries to get a combat assignment. His commander finally got someone to sign off and even though he was a B-17 instructor he was sent to England with a B-24 unit.

I always liked Jimmy Stewart. The one thing he made Hollywood put in his contract before he would sign with them the second time, was that they could never use his service record to promote his movies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Ben Johnson
Glen Ford
Richard Boone

Posts: 456 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I couldn't resist, sorry

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Neville Brand.[/

Forth most decorated in WWII.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elvis Presly, don't laugh. Those who served with him said he was all business in training in the States and in Europe and refused pressure to entertain Officers and Dignitaries while in the Army.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
Christopher Lee
Steve Buscemi
James Doohan
Mel Brooks
Clark Gable
Douglas Fairbanks Jr
Charles Bronson
Dennis Franz

+1 for Charles Bronson.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul Newman
Newman served in the United States Navy in World War II in the Pacific theater.[21]

Initially, he enrolled in the Navy V-12 pilot training program at Yale University, but was dropped when his colorblindness was discovered.[21][23]

Boot camp followed, with training as a radioman and rear gunner. Qualifying in torpedo bombers in 1944,

Aviation Radioman Third Class Newman was sent to Barbers Point, Hawaii. He was subsequently assigned to Pacific-based replacement torpedo squadrons VT-98, VT-99, and VT-100, responsible primarily for training replacement combat pilots and air crewmen, with special emphasis on carrier landings.[23]

He later flew as a turret gunner in an Avenger torpedo bomber. As a radioman-gunner, his unit was assigned to the USS Bunker Hill along with other replacements shortly before the Battle of Okinawa in the spring of 1945.

The pilot of his aircraft had an ear infection which kept their plane grounded. The rest of their squadron flew to the Bunker Hill.

Days later, a kamikaze attack on the vessel killed a number of service members, including the other members of his unit.[24][25]

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned Ronald Reagan? Eek

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Here’s one that might surprise you. An LTG who’s a woman, albeit not an actor, but a TV “personality.”

quote:
We all know Dr. Ruth Westheimer as the enthusiastic radio sex therapist, but you might not know that before she dedicated herself to educating the world about the importance of safe sex, Westheimer was a trained sniper. After both of her parents were killed in the Holocaust, Westheimer moved to Israel and joined Haganah, a Jewish military organization. “I could hit the target smack in the center further away than anyone could believe,” Westheimer once bragged, “Even today I can load a Sten automatic rifle in a single minute, blindfolded,” which, surprisingly, is not a euphemism.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post