SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Old school actors who played tough guys who WERE tough guys.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old school actors who played tough guys who WERE tough guys. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Tom Neal
A jealous thug who severely beat Franchot Tone.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

Steve McQueen.

Had a shitty childhood, stepdad beating the shit out of him. A juvenile gangster. Sent to a boys home. Finally joined the Marines, had a rocky start, but ended up straightening out his life. Was an honest to goodness auto and motorcycle racer. Learned martial arts from Pat Johnson (played a bit part in Enter the Dragon), and of course his friend Bruce Lee. The guy was no fluff muffin.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I want to say that I really like this list. Otherwise, it's a shame that you can point out as good a list of current actors/actresses that have similar backgrounds.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Eddie Albert

Prior to World War II, and before his film career, Albert had toured Mexico as a clown and high-wire artist with the Escalante Brothers Circus, but secretly worked for U.S. Army intelligence, photographing German U-boats in Mexican harbors.[8] On September 9, 1942, Albert enlisted in the United States Coast Guard and was discharged in 1943 to accept an appointment as a lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for his actions during the invasion of Tarawa in November 1943, when, as the pilot of a Coast Guard landing craft, he rescued 47 Marines who were stranded offshore (and supervised the rescue of 30 others), while under heavy enemy machine-gun fire.[9]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I want to say that I really like this list. Otherwise, it's a shame that you can point out as good a list of current actors/actresses that have similar backgrounds.

Obviously, you can’t; however, Rob Riggle served 23 years in the Marine Corps and retired as LTC. He had deployments to Liberia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. As a member of the Daily Show he joked “that he could kill any other member of the show.” That’s probably a LTG.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Arness

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
..but ended up straightening out his life.

Only at the very very end.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Nobody has mentioned Ronald Reagan? Eek

https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/...ice-of-ronald-reagan

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peter Ortiz. Not a movie star, but appeared in some John Ford and John Wayne movies based on his friendship with Ford from their OSS days in WWII.

Anything in a John Wayne or Schwarzenegger movie pales in comparison with Ortiz' real life exploits, from the French Foreign Legion as a teenager to German POW camps to working with the French underground as a U.S. Marine.

His biography is worth the time to read.

https://www.argunners.com/incr...tiz-in-world-war-ii/

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Leo Gordon

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Stewart. He didn't really play badasses but he chose to fly B17s into Germany for bombing missions when he could easily have gotten out of serving with his celebrity. That is a badass!

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Leo Gordon

I just read his bio in wikipedia. This guy actually served time in San Quentin for armed robbery. He also got a DD from the army but still managed to collect GI Bill benefits?

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So I have recently watched a couple old flicks with Lee Marvin and it comes to me just how different some of these old guys were vs new / current tough guy actors.

You look at Lee Marvin and you really get that this dude WAS A REAL BAD ASS. He wasn’t acting.

Just musing about an observation. Some of these old Hollywood heroes really were been there done that bad asses.

Lee Marvin immediately came to mind. If I recall, he was in the USMC and fought in the Pacific in WWII.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sterling Hayden - also a WWII Marine/OSS agent who went in harm's way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_Hayden

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles Durning.

U.S. Army. Normandy Invasion. CIB. Silver Star. Bronze Star. Three Purple Hearts.

Some accounts list Charles Durning as one of three survivors of the Malmedy massacre during the Battle of the Bulge. He helped identify the bodies afterwards.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Lee Van Cleef was in WWII, in the Navy. I don't think that he was a tough guy in the 'get drunk and fight' pattern but he would sometimes be challenged to prove that he was as hard as in the movies.

Donald Pleasance, of the Great Escape, and the Halloween movies was in the RAF and an actual POW in a german Stalag. He seems like the kind of bloke that you would rather have on your side if you just could not escape from a bar fight.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clint Eastwood
Crashed in a Douglas AD Bomber in 1951 off the coast of California then swam 3 miles to shore.

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Steve McQueen.

Had a shitty childhood, stepdad beating the shit out of him. A juvenile gangster. Sent to a boys home. Finally joined the Marines, had a rocky start, but ended up straightening out his life. Was an honest to goodness auto and motorcycle racer. Learned martial arts from Pat Johnson (played a bit part in Enter the Dragon), and of course his friend Bruce Lee. The guy was no fluff muffin.

IIRC, He saved a few Marines from drowning in an Amtrac that sunk.

Eddie Albert (Yep, Mr Green Acres himself) is another one that comes to mind.

Was a spy working for OSS prior to WWII spying on Nazi subs, joined the Coast Guard or Navy Reserves, and was responsible for saving the lives of 40+ Marines at the Battle of Tarawa.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Lee Marvin, my favorite actor.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post