SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Jesus Christ Superstar on NBC tonight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jesus Christ Superstar on NBC tonight Login/Join 
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted
One of the BEST shows, costuming, dancing, acting, and orchestrations that I've seen on TV.

Well done, NBC!!!!

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
How was Alice Cooper?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ looks like he had a good time. The crowd loved him. I read along with a copy of the 1970 double L.P. I have. A few variations but pretty close to original. I'm really glad Judas didn't fall off the scaffolding. Don't watch NBC much but it was enjoyable.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Now I am sorry I didn't watch it. I guess it will be streamed somewhere.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I recall listening to the soundtrack as a kid on a record, but never really saw it or knew the actual musical. Watched it last night for the first time.

I found it kind of bizarre and lame. The thing ends when Jesus dies on the cross? That's it? That's not the end of the story!

Alice Cooper was pretty good vamping and strutting around as Herod though. Unlike other singers of his era, his voice isn't shot so he actually sounded half decent.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I found it kind of bizarre and lame. The thing ends when Jesus dies on the cross? That's it? That's not the end of the story!

That was a major criticism of the show when it came out, too. It misses the main point of the Easter story by ending at the crucifixion.

It is a serious defect to believers, no doubt. But it is still a good musical.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

That was a major criticism of the show when it came out, too. It misses the main point of the Easter story by ending at the crucifixion.

It makes Jesus Superstar just a man who dies like everyone else does. I guess he's not the Jesus Christ of the Bible.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

It makes Jesus Superstar just a man who dies like everyone else does. I guess he's not the Jesus Christ of the Bible.

Well, to me, it means that the story ends before it should. I don't think they were negating Jesus' status in Christianity, they just stopped before they got to the really important part. Maybe that ruins it for you.

posted Hide Post
My understanding is that it is supposed to be told from Judas Iscariot's perspective. Given that Judas betrayed Jesus, and in hanging himself indicated that he did not believe Jesus could provide salvation, it is not surprising that the resurrection is not shown. For this reason, the show has never really appealed to me.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I remember going to the theater to see that thing when it came out. Didn't like it then and pretty sure my opinion would be the same if I saw it again now.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I remember Ian Gillan from the record. How did John Legend do in comparison?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
They did a better job with it than I expected.
I was not planning on watching it but caught the first few minutes and it sucked the wife and I into it.

John Legend did a good job.

I liked that the set and costumes were sort of abstract instead of major productions.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked that the set and costumes were sort of abstract instead of major productions.

Actually, the set was fairly typical for a production of the show in a live setting. They tend to use a simplistic set and rely on the costuming and acting to sell the show.

I had the privilege of seeing Ted Neely and Carl Anderson perform it LIVE in the 90's. Both of them sounded as good as they did in the original.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Alice's part of the cast interview below starting at 4:36. He knows the rest of the story...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscvEnnxFrE

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post