SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    WKRP Turkeys Away! UPDATED with Pictures and Videos.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WKRP Turkeys Away! UPDATED with Pictures and Videos. Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
This still holds up all these years later.
I still think it is the funniest thing ever put on TV.

I've written a whole Cowboy Match around it which we'll be shooting tomorrow (Saturday 11/11) in Toccoa, GA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zuj3dwZl64&t=5s

Stage 1 - The Big Guy
Arthur Carlson is the head of a struggling newspaper in Cincinnati, Kansas, the Western Kansas Regional Post (or WKRP). After bringing on a young, handsome manager, Andy Travis, he begins to feel marginalized. He feels that he needs to assert himself and bring fame to his paper by “giving back” to the community of Cincinnati, Kanas. And what better way to do that in November than by donating Turkeys to the townsfolk. The big guy gathers his staff and reveals what this venture is going to entail.
Arthur says “All it’s going to take is your complete cooperation, absolute secrecy, and 20 live turkeys”
Line “…and 20 live turkeys”.
Starting Position: Start standing behind the left barrel facing the “staff” (uprange) with both hands out as if explaining something.

Procedure: When ready say “and 20 live Turkeys”! At the beep, Turn facing targets and pick up rifle. Shoot the Rifle targets in the following order R1, R2, R3 R4, R4, Repeat. Move to behind barrel (body must be behind barrel). With revolvers, engage the 4 pistol targets in the following order. P1, P2, P3, P4, P4. Repeat with second revolver. Holster and move to shotgun. Engage the knockdown targets until down.

NOW WITH PICTURES AND VIDEOS:

Now with pictures and videos:

Link to all photos and videos
https://www.flickr.com/gp/84618463@N04/MU77f5

Stage 5 Stage Description:

Stage 5 Description by Dave Steier, on Flickr

DSCN1213 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Badlands Bob

DSCN1161 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly - Arthur Carlson

One of my favorite shows to watch back in college.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drew3630,

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I saw this as a kid and it stuck with me all these years.

I was shocked when I saw the turkeys in my yard actually fly off. Not exactly graceful but after a running start they did get airborne.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
...I was shocked when I saw the turkeys in my yard actually fly off...

Wild turkeys fly just fine; domestic ones, bred for the dinner table, are too heavy and ungainly.

All these years later, I still start laughing when I think of Arthur Carlson delivering that line: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Some years before the series began, I did radio news for a station not unlike WKRP, and could identify with the show. Missing Loni Anderson, of course.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...community of Cincinnati, Kansas..."
Cincinnati is in Ohio! Wink

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:

Though maybe the joke went over my head...not unusual at all! Big Grin
Was the funniest TV segment though!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:

For COWBOY Action Shooting I had to take poetic license and move it a little further West. Wink

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Missing Loni Anderson, of course.

Meh...you can have her. Bailey was much better.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Meh...you can have her. Bailey was much better.[/QUOTE

A...freken...men...Bailey was the one...nuff said!...

Rolan...if I didn't have company this weekend, I would make the drive down and burn some Clays with y'all...shoot fast and safe Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Meh...you can have her. Bailey was much better.[/QUOTE

A...freken...men...Bailey was the one...nuff said!...

We actually had a Bailey Quarters on the staff. Not as hot (To this day, I don't think any woman is as hot as she was, at least in Hollywood!), but still hot, a red head who was looney as they come. Thought the Black Helicopters were surveilling her every day, never connected with the fact that she lived next door to the County Sheriff Department traffic helicopter pad.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Classic!

How about: "Phone police"?

I still drop that line.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
also remember the episode where they got Johnny drunk to try to prove that reaction times increased the more you drank

the more Johnny drank, the faster he got

that was a nice touch I thought Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Now with pictures and videos:

Link to all photos and videos
https://www.flickr.com/gp/84618463@N04/MU77f5

Stage 5 Stage Description:

Stage 5 Description by Dave Steier, on Flickr

DSCN1213 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Badlands Bob

DSCN1161 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Meh...you can have her. Bailey was much better.

Jan Smithers, who played Bailey, was the wholeseome, girl next door type, and was way sexier to my 14 year old mind than Loni Anderson. My 50 year old mind still agrees.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
They were both hawt, just in different ways.

What a great show.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would have wanted to "grow old" with her.

Seeing her now, not so much.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but are your targets garden fannies with massive testicles?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but are your targets garden fannies with massive testicles?

Artie, they are the south end of a North facing Bull. I didn't pick 'em.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Yeah, I would have wanted to "grow old" with her.

Seeing her now, not so much.

True, but at least she didn't seem to go the bad plastic surgery route to stay "young".

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
True, but at least she didn't seem to go the bad plastic surgery route to stay "young".

Exactly what I meant. If I had seen her over time the difference between the 1970's and today wouldn't have been so "striking".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer