Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game of Thrones Login/Join 
posted
I am considering watching the series. I generally dislike stuff like Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter etc. and the like. I like stuff that is more reality based such as the Sopranos, The Wire, The Deuce and Deadwood. Thoughts? I would appreciate your suggestions.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you maybe the only person left who has not watched it. Seriously though, it will be hard to stop when you binge watch. There is a lot of info. to process.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have started to watch it again (2nd time)
We enjoy it.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Yes, it’s got heavy fantasy elements, but it is (to this point) the greatest, most epic, on-screen presentation ever.

You would do well, if you watch up until these last few seasons to do a little research, or ask here, regarding some of the relationships and history of some of they key characters. Important stuff can be missed if you don’t know/recall some of that stuff.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Watch the first season. It is "fantasy" but light on it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the initial 3 books first.

Then start watching.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I really like Game of Thrones, and I generally dislike medieval fantasy genres and sci-fi. It's really well-produced and acted. My main problem with a lot of sci-fi/fantasy is that the storytelling tends to get so plot-oriented, things like period details, grit, and harshness get glossed over. Thrones, on the other hand, definitely doesn't pull its punches!

The one thing I can't figure out is why so many Millennial geeks love this series. It seems to go against all the politically-correct wussy PG-13 fare they've been raised with. It's got violence, gore, nudity, rape... It's like opposite Disney/Marvel superhero movies in tone. I guess it does have a ton of powerful female characters which must please them.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Excellent series. You don't have to read the books. My wife hasn't read any and she loves the show. The show diverges from the books quite a bit anyway.

You do have to pay attention to the plot and who is who, but its one of the best series on TV today

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
*****POSSIBLE KINDA SPOILER ALERT*****

quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
The one thing I can't figure out is why so many Millennial geeks love this series. It seems to go against all the politically-correct wussy PG-13 fare they've been raised with. It's got violence, gore, nudity, rape... It's like opposite Disney/Marvel superhero movies in tone. I guess it does have a ton of powerful female characters which must please them.

I don't want to spoil anything for the OP, so I'll just say I think you're on the right track as far as the appeal of the characters. Think about most of the main ones, the ones people likely root for. They have something, generally speaking, in common.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you dislike Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter, why would you think about watching Game of Thrones?

Setting aside Harry Potter which is just a juvenile, self-indulgent spin on the messiah story, let me try to explain Star Wars and Lord of the rings. Lord of the rings is still a messiah story, but compared to Harry Potter, it limits the messiah role to a particular character. Why Harry Potter was successful is that people can fantasize that they too could be a Messiah in another world just like Harry.

But the stories in Science fiction like Star Trek and the stories in fantasies like Lord of the Ring isn’t really about the science fiction or the fantasy. The stories are still about the classic stories that center on the relationships between the characters. The science and the fantasy are merely the backdrop and vehicle to package the story. It also provides the mechanisms to move the story forward.

Like for example, the classic story of the taking of Pelham 123 about hostages aboard a subway and being threatened to be killed could be turned into a science fiction by changing the subway into a an interstellar spaceship which has taken on an alien life form threatening the lives of the whole crew. The crew may have differences with one another but in the end the story is how the remaining crew resolve their differences, combine their weaknesses and strengths to successfully confront the enemy alien life form.

If you approach Game of Thrones as the War of the Roses on steroids then I think you’ll appreciate the series.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
The upcoming season is the last. For this part of the story.

Wait till its over before you start watching

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It’s amazing. I put it off for so long and I’m watching the series for the 4th time now.

I read the books afterwards.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you dislike Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter, why would you think about watching Game of Thrones?

Setting aside Harry Potter which is just a juvenile, self-indulgent spin on the messiah story, let me try to explain Star Wars and Lord of the rings. Lord of the rings is still a messiah story, but compared to Harry Potter, it limits the messiah role to a particular character. Why Harry Potter was successful is that people can fantasize that they too could be a Messiah in another world just like Harry.

But the stories in Science fiction like Star Trek and the stories in fantasies like Lord of the Ring isn’t really about the science fiction or the fantasy. The stories are still about the classic stories that center on the relationships between the characters. The science and the fantasy are merely the backdrop and vehicle to package the story. It also provides the mechanisms to move the story forward.

Like for example, the classic story of the taking of Pelham 123 about hostages aboard a subway and being threatened to be killed could be turned into a science fiction by changing the subway into a an interstellar spaceship which has taken on an alien life form threatening the lives of the whole crew. The crew may have differences with one another but in the end the story is how the remaining crew resolve their differences, combine their weaknesses and strengths to successfully confront the enemy alien life form.

If you approach Game of Thrones as the War of the Roses on steroids then I think you’ll appreciate the series.

and I though I Just like it because, gore, tits, fights, nudity, dragons, orgies, castles,

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tell a lot of skeptics who are considering watching: It's a medieval world, that has elements of fantasy but is not ruled by them. The author (George Martin) was very explicit that he wanted to create a 'fictional world that wasn't ruled by fantasy'. In other words, when the plot or, main characters come to point of difficulty or, conflict, magic comes to the rescue...not so often in GoT.

Much of the intrigue with the show comes from the personal relationships of the characters within a violent, monarchical-dynastic culture: the ability to manipulate and motivate, exhibiting and understanding leadership both personal and grand strategy, friendships and, partnerships. If a kid (or, anyone else) is trying to understand what life in Europe was like, post-Roman Empire to pre-Renaissance, this can provide a glimpse to what society was like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I think you maybe the only person left who has not watched it.

Count me as the other person.

I ignored it simply because other than Monty Python & the Holy Grail, I had no interest in medieval films and TV. But my wife and son, both love the series, urge me to reconsider. I guess it is a matter of time before I take a glimpse.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Really, it's a political thriller set in a medieval setting, with elements of fantasy. Other than the dragons, the fantasy is not overdone. It's certainly more Adult and Realistic than Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, or even Star Trek.

I would say Game Of Thrones is to Fantasy, what Dune (Frank Herbert) is to Sci-Fi.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm generally not into Fantasy. Sure, I've seen the LotR movies, but I never read it, and I still wouldn't read GRRMartin either, way too long and too much detail about shit I don't care about, but the GoT show is honestly pretty amazing, and dragons and shit aside - it's more House of Cards than House of Cards. It's politics and war and double crossing done as well as anything has ever been, at least on television.

It's also less fantasy and supernatural than one would think. It's as much Camelot-esque as anything else, feels as much a period piece as it does fantasy when the dragon aren't around, which is more often than not. And the supernatural bits are sparse, too.

I was skeptical, and then blown away over the first couple of seasons, and a fan since...

YMMV

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I've read all of the books and watched the entire series. The books and the show follow fairing close for about the first three books/seasons. Some fairly large divergence after that.

My biggest suggestion to anyone considering to start watching the series: don't get overly attached to any one character...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Something you'll get from GOT more than many TV series is amazing character arcs. So many rich stories develop and intertwine. You're watching in some cases children/teens growing into adults, and going through incredible successes and failures. Most every part of the story along the way has a purpose. For me the late seasons have had a number of very satisfying "payoff" scenes.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the show, am half way through the second book... Both are great.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post