SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    English chat/panel/game shows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English chat/panel/game shows Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Frankly, I find them far superior to ours.

QI? Yes please.

8 out of 10 cats? Sure.

Mock the week? Indeed.

Graham Norton? Supreme.

It's what Youtube is for.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
a large percentage of English TV is better than ours,

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare's , UK version is leaps and bounds better than the US shows,

his Fword is good as well,

cooking show wise,
Nigella,
Oliver's shows,
and even the Great British Bakeoff is better than most of the shows on food or cooking tv

lots are on netflix

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I find their network scripted shows best ours also. They only have to worry about writing a quality 4 - 6 episode season. We have to churn out 24-ish episodes per single season, which leads to very hackneyed, formulaic, trite, fast food-like programming.

Our cable TV writing kicks ass though. 8 - 12 episodes per season seems to be the perfect balance for having enough time to create quality programming.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
I find their network scripted shows best ours also. They only have to worry about writing a quality 4 - 6 episode season. We have to churn out 24-ish episodes per single season, which leads to very hackneyed, formulaic, trite, fast food-like programming.

Our cable TV writing kicks ass though. 8 - 12 episodes per season seems to be the perfect balance for having enough time to create quality programming.

I think the avg is 10-12 episodes per season for most UK dramas/shows,

some are less (River, Bodyguar, Wallander) few more

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graham Norton? Supreme

I love it. I started watching him a few years ago when a friend sent me some link to celebrity impressions by other celebs, and I'm sure most have seen such things - some of those people are amazing, kooky Jimmy Fallon kills it, pervy Kevin Spacey has serious skills at this mimicry, it's uncanny sometimes.

Anyway, I've since seen many clips of Graham's show on Netflix and I love it. Adult without being obnoxious and always sort of refined, very modern but very British, etc.

Supreme, indeed.

I've always loved UK comedy, from Benny Hill forward. Those people ("what do you mean - you people") have a different perspective and humor. I love Sean of the Dead, etc, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post

for your viewing pleasure.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare's , UK version is leaps and bounds better than the US shows,

cooking show wise,
Nigella,
Oliver's shows,
and even the Great British Bakeoff is better than most of the shows on food or cooking tv

lots are on netflix

THIS 100%

Gordon Ramsay's original Kitchen Nightmares was great, so down to earth with him narrating, and none of the hype and phony drama of the US versions.

The Great British Baking Show is another one where the UK version is great but the US version is just unwatchable.

Shows like Life on Mars and Being Human were really good as the UK versions which were ruined as US versions.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

cooking show wise,
Nigella,
Oliver's shows,

lots are on netflix

THIS 100%

Gordon Ramsay's original Kitchen Nightmares was great, so down to earth with him narrating, and none of the hype and phony drama of the US versions.

The Great British Baking Show is another one where the UK version is great but the US version is just unwatchable.

Shows like Life on Mars and Being Human were really good as the UK versions which were ruined as US versions.

oddly enough, you can get Life On Mars on DVD here in the states, but not it's excellent sequel Ashes to Ashes,
we bought it from the UK, and then bought a region free player to watch it on,

another great UK show is Mi5