SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    0W-20 oil and my 2016 CRV
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
0W-20 oil and my 2016 CRV Login/Join 
posted
Read the manual some more and saw it recommends 0W-20 for my 2016 CRV, the Honda brand (shocker). Did a quick search, it's a semi-new synthetic that costs more but lasts longer.

My instrument panel has one of those oil life indicators, but I'm inclined to change at the mileage (around 3200) if that comes first.

I have a good - make that great - shop I'm comfortable with, but they may not stock Honda brand OW-20. Will my engine explode without the Honda brand oil?

Posts: 12250 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
no it won't. Of course they want you to use their oil, they make money off you buying it. Honda doesn't make their own oil. It's just rebranded. Pick a reputable 0W-20 out, and save your receipt. I like Amsoil (I send my oil samples off to blackstone labs) because of the lab results I get from it.

We’re in the pipe. Five by five.

Posts: 8006 | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I use Mobil One synthetic 0W-20 in our 2015 Honda Pilot. I change it when the oil left percentage gets to around 5percent or so. Usually seems to workout to around 7000 miles or so.

Posts: 1026 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Report This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Can you do it yourself? I've been changing my own oil for years (I am not very mechanically inclined) and to change my 2012 Pilot it only takes about 20 minutes. I've found my local Walmart carries the 0W-20. You could also get it off of Amazon.

Posts: 6778 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Report This Post
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You'd be pissing money away changing it at 3200. Follow the oil life monitor, they are pretty accurate

“I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.”

Posts: 1145 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, all 0W20 oils are full synthetic. All the brands are pretty much the same. If the maker calls for this weight, go ahead and use it. This engine (as with almost all others made today) has oil pressure actuated variable valve timing, the mechanism of which is sensitive to thicker or dirty oil. As for your oil life monitor, it works by extrapolating how long you drive between stops, how warm the engine gets, how fast you drive, etc. You'll probably find that you can go longer than 3200 miles. I can't see this unless your driving is all short trips that never warm up the engine.

"My wife is dragging me to this stupid play. Somebody please shoot me."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 19301 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
You'd be pissing money away changing it at 3200. Follow the oil life monitor, they are pretty accurate

+1

In fact, for most driving and environments, doubling the 3,200 isn't too hard on a quality synthetic oil.

3,200 mile changes are a waste, even on dino oil which are so advanced these days that 5,000 miles out of them aren't uncommon.

The oil life meter (OLM) is a way of the car measuring wear on motor oil through heat cycles, RPMs, mileage, load, etc. Much more accurate than going by mileage, IMO.

I cringe when people still go by the 3,000/3 month change criteria. That's 1980's thinking there.

Edmond

Posts: 8430 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 12, 2005Report This Post
Proud member of
the vanning collective
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Our 2012 Highlander call for 0w-20 at 7,000 miles it does not have a oil indicator.
I have always been a 3k oil changer (still am with my 03 Explorer) and honestly going 7k still scares me (yes it is all in my head) so I change at 5k and I still don't believe how golden brown the oil is.
One day I may be able to get myself to stretch it to 7k.

--------------------------------------
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard

Posts: 18104 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
As long as you're using a brand name 0W-20 you will be fine. The API Certification Seal is found on pretty much any oil other than bargain basement oil sold in some discount stores and gas stations. This is not a direct-injected, turbocharged engine, so you don't have to be very picky. Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE, available at WalMart for ~$25/5qt, would do nicely, but your shop surely has something appropriate in stock given how common this viscosity has become.

Just for everyone's reference, here is the relevant page from the 2016 CRV manual:

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3898 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

THIS!!!!!!! I wouldn't even consider changing oil nowadays before 5000 miles unless it's a very extreme circumstance. Any 0w-20 quality oil should be fine.

posted Hide Post
Toyota says to change the 0-20W oil in my 2015 every 10K miles. I do and the color never changes. It remains the same at the beginning of the oil cycle as it does at the end.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Still using dino oil in my '15 Subaru and doing it every 6 months or 6,000 miles which is the manufacturer recommended interval.

BMW was doing mine once a year or 15k whichever came first using full synthetic.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 5115 | Location: South of Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies. Keep in mind my last car was a 97 Accord, so this high tech stuff is new to me!

I checked the 152 page hard copy manual and could not find the usual maintenance interval page where service is recommended by miles. It looks like the CRV now tells what it needs and when.

I bought it new a few months ago, it's now at 2300 miles (mostly stop and go in the city), and the dealer sticker says next service is due 3750. Not sure if that's because it's new or (more likely) they want to make money off me. The oil life indicator says 80%.

My next (and first) oil change will be free as I'm going to one of those workshops where they will tell me that only a Honda dealer is qualified to open the hood and look at my engine. Smile

Posts: 12250 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Our 2012 Highlander call for 0w-20 at 7,000 miles it does not have a oil indicator.
I have always been a 3k oil changer (still am with my 03 Explorer) and honestly going 7k still scares me (yes it is all in my head) so I change at 5k and I still don't believe how golden brown the oil is.
One day I may be able to get myself to stretch it to 7k.

http://m.blackstone-labs.com

Oil sample kit is free. Next time you change it, send a sample off. You are wasting money if you are using synthetic. My STi, which was stage 2 tuned (heavily modified from sTock), and driven hard, lab results netted 12k oil change intervals with Amsoil.

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Thanks to all for the replies. Keep in mind my last car was a 97 Accord, so this high tech stuff is new to me!

I checked the 152 page hard copy manual and could not find the usual maintenance interval page where service is recommended by miles. It looks like the CRV now tells what it needs and when.

I bought it new a few months ago, it's now at 2300 miles (mostly stop and go in the city), and the dealer sticker says next service is due 3750. Not sure if that's because it's new or (more likely) they want to make money off me. The oil life indicator says 80%.

My next (and first) oil change will be free as I'm going to one of those workshops where they will tell me that only a Honda dealer is qualified to open the hood and look at my engine. Smile

I still believe in doing the first oil change early, to get rid of all the metal in the oil from the parts wearing in. The oil filter gets most of it, by by 3k I'd get rid of the oil myself. I do my first change on a new car at 2k.

Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
ASE Master Mechanic here.
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20 in my Honda because it's a great product ant I can get it on sale at Wally's for $16-$20 for a 5 quart jug.
Changing this oil in a 2016 Honda every 3200 miles would be like cleaning and lubing a pistol once a week even though you didn't shoot it. In other words, it won't harm your vehicle but it is completely unnecessary. 7500-8500 miles is almost overkill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say."

Posts: 6456 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I still believe in doing the first oil change early, to get rid of all the metal in the oil from the parts wearing in. The oil filter gets most of it, by by 3k I'd get rid of the oil myself. I do my first change on a new car at 2k.

Waste of time and money. Follow the mfg recommended maintenance schedule.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say."

Posts: 6456 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Waste of time and money. Follow the mfg recommended maintenance schedule.

Each to their own. I've run lab samples on enough new engines to know to toss the original oil once wear in slows down. Everybody do what they like though. I choose to use a lab and get facts.

posted Hide Post
I appreciate the advice from everyone; I'm new to synthetic oil and the oil life monitor (OLM) high tech stuff. I'm attending the dealer's owner workshop tomorrow night (free food and a free oil change coupon!) and want to ask the right questions.

When I bought the CRV a few months ago, the dealer put on a "next service due" sticker for 3750 miles. It's now at 2300 with 80%.

I could not find anything in the manual about a maintenance schedule based on mileage, implying I should use the OLM. Is there a "new car early service check" that Honda recommends? Or is their shop trying to make money?

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Read the manual some more and saw it recommends 0W-20 for my 2016 CRV, the Honda brand (shocker). Did a quick search, it's a semi-new synthetic that costs more but lasts longer.

My instrument panel has one of those oil life indicators, but I'm inclined to change at the mileage (around 3200) if that comes first.

I have a good - make that great - shop I'm comfortable with, but they may not stock Honda brand OW-20. Will my engine explode without the Honda brand oil?

Purchased new a 2013 Accord V6 and I just use a premium synthetic 0W20 that my oil change business uses. I would also add that for oddballs like me who may not put enough miles on their car in a given year, my owners manual says to change it once a year.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 7334 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I use Mobil 1 0-20 in my 2014 Honda CR-V and change it every 6000 miles.

Posts: 33465 | Location: NW Indiana | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post