SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Your favorite Movies and Shows with zero-to-minimal action/explosions/loud noises/loud music
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite Movies and Shows with zero-to-minimal action/explosions/loud noises/loud music Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
I like Nakatomi Tower gunfights and D-Day movies and concert films and classic horror with dumb white girls screaming at lake side cabins and the rest, because "America ... Fuck Yeah..." , but not exclusively, and not always.

And this isn't necessarily limited to dialogue driven "wordy" examples, and isn't genre or era dependent either, but sometimes I like actively watching (or having things on in the background) that are both good *and* of fairly consistent tone and dynamic range... audibly consistent and without jarring gotchas or bombs or screams or whatever else.

Happy, sad, funny, creepy, westerns, sci-fi, drama and more, even quality romance-y stuff I suppose (quality chick-flicks, if that's not an oxymoron), from courtroom dramas to ensemble pieces by Altman to brooding or foreign films, just no screams, explosions, etc.

And with that in mind, what are your favorites?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
What about tits? Wink

If they're not off limits, Mulholland Drive, and much of David Lynch's stuff was the first to come to mind for me.

One of my favorite comedies is Kung Pow.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Some of these may be on the edge of the noise/violence threshold but will not be excessive.  Some B&Ws.

America, America
Ugetsu
Ikuru
Life of Oharu
Stray Dog
The Bicycle Thieves
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum
Cabin in the Sky
Green Pastures
Lost Horizon
Champagne for Ceasar
The Day the Earth Stood Still, original
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man
The Golem, How It Came into the World
Stormy Weather
A Captain's Paradise

In color.
Napoleon Dynamite
My Dinner with Andre
Sleepless in Seattle
The Lives of Others
Tomorrow I Will Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea
The Gods Must be Crazy, I & II

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A Few Good Men;
Absence of Malice;
Beverly Hills Cop;
Conagher;
War Games;
Overboard.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Forest Gump

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
What leaps to mind for me is The Ghost Writer, Phenomenon, Always, and Breaking Away.

I watched Zorro and the Gay Blade two nights ago. I don't think the OP mentioned lots of sword fights would disqualify any film. Such a fun show. And, I need to find a copy of Kentucky Fried Movie. I still can't watch the original Enter the Dragon without laughing my ass off.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
What leaps to mind for me is The Ghost Writer, Phenomenon, Always, and Breaking Away.

I watched Zorro and the Gay Blade two nights ago. I don't think the OP mentioned lots of sword fights would disqualify any film. Such a fun show. And, I need to find a copy of Kentucky Fried Movie. I still can't watch the original Enter the Dragon without laughing my ass off.

Big Jim Slade

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938
The Sea Hawks
Captain Blood
Local Hero
The Gods Must be Crazy
Napoleon Dynamite
Moonstruck
Eight Below
Groundhog Day
The Day the Earth Stood Still original
The Thing

I know the Errol Flynn swashbucklers do have cannon fire.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Usual Suspects
The Game
Dave
Blues Brothers
Man in the Iron Mask

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Ordinary People Robert Redford's incredible directorial debut, and masterful performances from all the cast, Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore, Judd Hirsch, and Timothy Hutton. Even perfect supporting role performances. Won 4 out of its 6 Academy nominations.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From the bottom of pg1 of the lair. Wind River, a bit of action, but a lot less than a lot of shoot em up shows.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Roxanne
Groundhog Day

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howard’s End
Much Ado About Nothing (Branaugh’s version)
Murder on the Orient Express (any of them)
Judgement at Nuremberg
+1 for Roxanne
Shetland... though it is a police procedural.
Serendipity
White Christmas
Singing in the Rain

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Dersu Uzala

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The Legend of 1900

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A River Runs Through It.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Dersu Uzala

A favorite.

Another favorite of mine is Never Cry Wolf.
I think of it as having very little dialog. In truth there's narration throughout the movie, but little of the dialog is between two people.

I tried to re-watch All is Lost the other night, only to see it was no longer on Prime. It wasn't amazing, but I liked the movie. What I really liked is there's pretty much no dialogue in the whole film.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Bridge of Spies

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Favorite movies and shows with zero-to-minimal action/explosions/loud noises and music.

Whoa! Those are the only restrictions? That's insane! That still leaves a field way too broad for me! I'm gonna need to add an extra filter.

Here's some of my favorite movies and shows with zero-to-minimal action etc. currently available on Netflix streaming.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Her
Coraline
Kicking and Screaming
(1995)
Beautiful Girls
Frances Ha
Spring Breakers
Atonement
Sunshine Cleaning
Arrested Development
Anne with an E
Mad Men
The Haunting of Hill House

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I thought Renaissance Man was good, had some noise and action but not over done.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post