SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Finally watched Deadwood, but wanting more. Now what?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally watched Deadwood, but wanting more. Now what? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I should watch it again.

I agree that they stopped at the right time.
Fans want more, not realizing that there is some number of episodes that is right, and that going past that number will result in repetitive stories and bad quality.

What was the hospital show that went for 20 years? By the end they had to have helicopters crash into the emergency room to come up with a new story line.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
HBO should have given Milch one more season to wrap up the show.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What was the hospital show that went for 20 years? By the end they had to have helicopters crash into the emergency room to come up with a new story line.

"E.R." ran for 15 seasons - 1994-2009

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Don't toy with my emotions HBO.

http://geektyrant.com/news/ian...deadwood-film-script

If you've been disappointed that you haven't heard anything since HBO announced plans for a Deadwood revival back in 2016, Ian McShane has an update for you. McShane revealed to TVLine in an interview that a two hour script for a film has been passed along to HBO and that it's now on the network as to whether or not they will move forward with greenlighting the film:

“If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.”

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try to give Justified another go. I tried to watch the pilot about five minutes after I finished the last episode of Deadwood and just wasn't feeling it. I liked Olyphant in Deadwood, but I liked McShane a whole lot more.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Watch some spaghetti westerns.

I just watched once upon a time in the west, old school sergio leone and charles bronson. It was great.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I always felt the true genius behind Deadwood was it's attention to the period detail and accuracy at portraying frontier life in general, if not it's accuracy to the actual events and persons of Deadwood in the late 1870's.

The season three Hearst storyline was just silly. I lost interest after that so it not being renewed wasn't that big a deal.

I wish Hollywood would stop trying to improve on the actual events they are trying to portray by creating fictions out of whole cloth.

The actual events that history records in Deadwood in the late 1870's are far more interesting, intriguing and dramatic than Hollywood could ever come up with. Sticking to that script, we may have had several additional seasons.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try to give Justified another go. I tried to watch the pilot about five minutes after I finished the last episode of Deadwood and just wasn't feeling it. I liked Olyphant in Deadwood, but I liked McShane a whole lot more.

Yup - likewise ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
I always felt the true genius behind Deadwood was it's attention to the period detail and accuracy at portraying frontier life in general, if not it's accuracy to the actual events and persons of Deadwood in the late 1870's.
One thing they weren't faithful to, and that's the language used by Americans in that period. They did not speak that way. Milch addressed this when the series was on and explained why this was so. I'll have to find his comments.
quote:
The season three Hearst storyline was just silly.
What was really silly was the speculation in the forum at that time, that Hearst would be killed by someone in the show. I tried to point out that Hearst is an historical personage and it is a matter of historical record as to how and where he died, and it wasn't by being murdered in Deadwood in the 1870s. Roll Eyes

**edit**

Here ya go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...%29#Use_of_profanity
quote:
From its debut, Deadwood drew attention for its extensive profanity. It is a deliberate anachronism on the part of the creator with a twofold intent. Milch explained in several interviews that the characters were originally intended to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the time's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical. As Geoffrey Nunberg put it "… if you put words like 'goldarn' into the mouths of the characters on 'Deadwood', they'd all wind up sounding like Yosemite Sam."

Instead, it was decided that the show would use current profanity in order for the words to have the same impact on modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870s. In early episodes, the character of Mr. Wu excessively uses "cocksucker," his favorite derogatory term for those whom he dislikes. Wu is also fond of the Cantonese derogatory term "gweilo" which he applies to the camp's white males.

The other intent in regard to the frequency of the swearing was to signal to the audience the lawlessness of the camp in much the same way that the original inhabitants used it to show that they were living outside the bounds of "civil society".

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Para, thanks, I'm glad you posted that. The swearing definitely caught my attention as extremely modern, right off the bat. I chalked it up to a stylistic decision and stopped noticing it quite so much in short order. I'd say they achieved their intent without making it seem jarring in a way that would suspend the disbelief.

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Watch some spaghetti westerns.

I just watched once upon a time in the west, old school sergio leone and charles bronson. It was great.

You know, I've been thinking about that movie lately and I need to watch it again soon. Definitely high up on the list, but that's a very different flavor from Deadwood. Kinda the opposite, lol.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I should have included Miltch's explanation about the use of profanity.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for something to watch next, check out Hell on Wheels.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why did Hearst cut off Al's finger?

Posts: 245 | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Because Swearengen defied Hearst and told Hearst pretty much to go fuck himself. Hearst was showing Swearengen who was boss.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
If you're looking for something to watch next, check out Hell on Wheels.

Hell on Wheels lost me after season 2

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hell on Wheels is nothing like Deadwood. Hell on Wheels was poorly written and even more poorly directed.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well decided I'd go back and watch the cocksuckers again, so finished season 1 and 1/4 into season 2 so far it's f'n great...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, time to review the stats: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3430007324/p/1

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

It's not Deadwood by a long shot. However, I tried watching it and after an episode or two decided not to. A year or so went by and I tried again, still not inspired. A couple more months and I had exhausted all the other bingable shows to watch so I tried again.

I sat through 3 or 4 episodes wondering why I was watching the show, it wasn't any good. All of a sudden the show changed a little, the characters roles began to flesh out and the serial story began to kick in. The first couple episodes are what I think of as Stand Alone, they build too slowly on one another to develop the story. After 4 or 5 the story kicked in for me and I went from not caring for the show to fully enjoying it all the way through every season.

Having Walton Goggins in it made all the difference for me. I very rarely find anything he is in that doesn't appeal to me, he has a great range and quality to his roles.

I do wish there could be another western drama on tv that could replace the void of deadwood, I just don't think writers are into that genre anymore.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Watch the Lonesome Dove mini-series. Don't bother with the sequels or prequels. They suck.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post