SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Finally watched Deadwood, but wanting more. Now what?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally watched Deadwood, but wanting more. Now what? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I ripped through it on Amazon prime and really enjoyed it. I liked the realistic, gritty portrayal of the times. No candy-coating. It reminded me of the Spartacus series for not pulling punches. I went into it thinking it was going to be a show about a lawman bringing justice to a mining camp. I finished the show about the saloon owner and pimp Swearingen wanting more. I saw, and was entertained by facets of life in that time that were never really clearly put into focus in any other screen material dealing with this subject.

So, having finished Deadwood and really liked it, where do I go from here? I watched the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels years ago, and I intend to pick that back up, but it's a bit too on the heels of the war for me. I'm really into stuff set about 1875-1890. Any recommendations? Can be a movie or a series, I'm not particular.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
<Wu>No mo cocksucka ...</Wu>

(I miss it too - once you get into it - hard to see it not continue.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ha! The other day at work, I had a mild mess-up and dropped my best Wu "cock-suckah!" My coworker wheeled in his chair giving me the "wtf?" face and I doubled-down with crossed fingers and "Wu! Swedgin! Heng dai! Cock-ssssssuckah!" He doubled-down on his "wtf?" face. "You need to watch Deadwood, man."

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
So, having finished Deadwood and really liked it, where do I go from here?

If you haven't already, follow Timothy Olyphant to an even better role in Justified. Six seasons on Prime ready for you. I just finished my third trip through the series. Walton Goggins plays an excellent role in the series, as well.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good news is the Producer and cast are in development of a Deadwood reunion movie for HBO. Last I heard they were working on finalizing the script.

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weiser09:
The good news is the Producer and cast are in development of a Deadwood reunion movie for HBO. Last I heard they were working on finalizing the script.
Good God, no. They need to leave it alone. They missed their chance. It's been a decade, for God's sake. Hello? McFly? It would be pathetic.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I agree that it's been too long. HBO really screwed up with Deadwood. It was one of if not the best written show, dialogue wise, on tv at the time.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't think of one instance where a successful and acclaimed series was later made into a movie that was worth a crap.

Smudge,
If you've not seen it, Boardwalk Empire is set in the 1920-1930 time (prohibition) period and except for a few character faux pas, was very enjoyable and somewhat historical.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Good God, no. They need to leave it alone. They missed their chance. It's been a decade, for God's sake. Hello? McFly? It would be pathetic.

^ Exactly. It would have been great had they done it (like they talked about) immediately after the show ended. Now? Meh....too little, too late. Though I'd probably still watch it. They could have done a 4th season to wind things down, which would have been better than a movie, IMHO.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
We are on season 3 of Deadwood. Such an awesome show. Will damn sure miss it.

We are pretty big fans of Timothy Olyphant. Have never watched Justified, so that will be our next binge watch. Hopefully that helps fill the Deadwood void!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Justified is a great next step. Similar well-written, witty dialogue. And Timothy Olyphant's character (Raylan Givens) would fit right in back in the Old West.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
The series went off the rails when the Hearst storyline ran it's course. There was supposed to be two follow up movies but HBO and Milch couldn't work out the terms and budget.

Now it's been too long, and they should just let the sleeping dog lie.

Also I think Serenity was a great series turned movie followup.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
quote:
are in development of a Deadwood reunion movie for HBO. Last I heard they were working on finalizing the script.

Based on what's popular these days the reunion will be focused around a Hickok zombie. Likely all the hookers will be zombies also....

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-s...-on-the-reasons-why/

Deadwood series creator David Milch has said, “I am deeply disappointed by the way things turned out. (HBO) felt like they had to make a choice, and this is how they chose. I know they tried to work it out, and I tried to work it out with them.” It’s been confirmed that HBO offered to greenlight a small six-episode order of the groundbreaking drama but Milch, who has had bad experiences with so-called “short-order renewals,” rejected the offer.

“For my part, I did not want to accept a short order. We couldn’t have done the work the way we wanted. I didn’t want to limp home. My old man used to say, ‘Never go anyplace where you’re only tolerated,'” relates Milch. One source has reported that Milch had already plotted the fourth (presumed final) season episodes.

So in essence, the reason for Deadwood’s ending seems to be a financial one. Milch is working on a new series for HBO (John from Cincinnati) and, due to that commitment, HBO didn’t believe that he would be able to return to Deadwood for quite awhile, delaying the possible start of a Deadwood season four. Deadwood is an expensive show to shoot and it’s assumed that the cable channel didn’t want to (or couldn’t afford to) pay the actor salaries for months while they waited for production to begin.

HBO Chairman and Chief Executive Chris Albrecht has noted, “Not having a fourth season of Deadwood is not the result anyone wanted.”

Posts: 19506 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's an old showbiz saying: "Always leave 'em wanting more."

Deadwood did just that, there's no two ways about it. Compare this to other popular series that stay alive far past the point of reason. Consider how you feel about these shows. Deadwood never jumped the shark.

I'll take the way Deadwood went out, rather than the alternative.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monty walsh, you know my name: Bill Tilman, last stand at sabre river.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Yep. Shame that it ended so abruptly.

Justified is a great show.

Boardwalk Empire is also another good period piece from the prohibition era.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Justified ain't no Deadwood, but it's still very well done. A much better role for Olyphant, and Elmore Leonard brings a lot to the table, too. I enjoyed the series quite a bit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Justified ain't no Deadwood, but it's still very well done. A much better role for Olyphant, and Elmore Leonard brings a lot to the table, too. I enjoyed the series quite a bit.

I actually enjoyed Justified more than Deadwood. Maybe it was the variety of situations, or the modern setting, or just the fact there was closure, but I thought it was the better of the two series. Not by a lot though.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I loved Deadwood. My ex-wife called it "Hillbilly Shakespeare" but she enjoyed it too.

But apparently the only reason Milch wants to do the Deadwood movies is that he's flat broke.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.c...-100m-gambled-866184

"David Milch, the storied mind also behind 'Deadwood,' changed television. Now, according to a lawsuit, the racetrack regular has lost his homes, owes the IRS $17 million and is on a $40-a-week allowance."

Deadwood's time is gone. I still curse out HBO for canceling it.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post