SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dennis Franz as Andy Sipowicz
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dennis Franz as Andy Sipowicz Login/Join 
posted
On N.Y.P.D. blue

We got a new broadcast tv channel last week
H&I

https://www.handitv.com/

I had forgotten how much I liked that show, its been so long ago.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Great character. My wife & I have been reviewing it lately. Still solid, IMO.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't watch it when it originally aired on prime time but I have been catching re-runs on Direct TV and also on Amazon.

It is a good show and I really like Dennis Franz and his character.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
His best role was that of "Earl" in the Dixie Chick's Video "Goodbye Earl". Too bad they ruined their career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw7gNf_9njs

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Franz is living quite well on Lake Coeur d'Alene Idaho these days. Btw, Wanda makes Sonic commercials now, lol.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fran’s as Andy was the best. Made that part.

If any of you remember the movie The Package he plays a pretty good Chicago cop who is buddies with Gene Hackman’s character.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO his portrayal of Andy Sipowitz was the most accurate portrayal of a detective I ever saw.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"I sweat when I eat"

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Franz and Dennis Farina were the best at portraying detectives. Helps that Farina was an ex-Chicago cop.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I also enjoyed him as Det. Sal Benedetto on Hill Street Blues. "Bad Sal" was a bad man!

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4809 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I thought Franz and Dennis Farina were the best at portraying detectives. Helps that Farina was an ex-Chicago cop.

And a damn good cop as well.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
NYPD Blue lost me with Dennis Franz's bare ass on my TV screen.

I think they were trying to one-up Hill Street Blues and the best TV cop show (and they failed IMO) by pushing the envelope. They pushed it too far and lost me.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The roll was made for Franz or visa versa. He played it perfectly. Good cop with some questionable tactics. His suites were always about a 1/2 size too tight and his tic of running his finger around his shirt collar in and effort to gain a tiny bit of breathing room accentuated this.

Be careful out there

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Andy is the ultimate arbiter of who's a hump. If you're unsure if someone is a hump, let Andy spend two minutes with them.

BTW, if I said "Detective Sal Benedetto", would you know what I mean without looking it up?

Before Andy Sipowicz and before Norman Buntz, was Sal Benedetto.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the entire series on AUD on Direct TV.
Been running every day in consectuative episodes, and the entire series has run several times, as has Mad Men.
Some plots start getting tiring if you see it every day.
Jimmy Smits was his best partner, David Caruso not so much though he was the star until he quit.
I also liked Lt. Fancy, interesting interaction between him and Sipowycz.
Medavoy was an interesting character.
I concur that Hill Street Blues was a more interesting show.
Haven't seen it since it's original run though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: walkinghorse,

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when you think about it, the creators of that show could have gone the very easy route and just made Sip another A hole, bigoted, shady ,p.i.t.a.
new york ,Mr. pissy attitude cop

instead they did a 90 degree turn and made dennis
comforting, feeling, empathizing, caring, somewhat tortured soul .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did Dennis Franz play Sipowitz every bit as good as
Gandolphini played Tony Soprano ?

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
“The woman’s a walking fist.” Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
"So I asked her out again, but this time I borrowed a Buick. Big car... threw her my best hump."

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You knew you were in trouble in the interview room when he picked up the phone book.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post