SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    True Detective - Season 3
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Detective - Season 3 Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
I didn't see any other threads about this.

Tonight I stumbled across news about Season 3 that I hadn't heard:

* Takes place in the Ozarks.
* Here's a teaser trailer:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's set in the '70s. I'm going to guess that a black detective is going to face a lot of racism while performing his job? So...some social justice tied into the plot?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Big shoes to fill...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Takes place in the Ozarks.

Fayetteville, Arkansas, to be specific. They've been filming around here for months.

The show's writer/creator went to the University of Arkansas.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
So...some social justice tied into the plot?

Racial-justice. I can't take you anywhere.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I loved season 1. Season 2 didnt grab me at all and i didnt get passt the second episode. This one kinda looks more like the first season. Thats exciting.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Big shoes to fill...

Not sure season-2 left that big of an impression...season-1 though, instead of a crater a monument was built.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I agree although I do like Rachel McAdams. Season 1 was the better of the two
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Big shoes to fill...

Not sure season-2 left that big of an impression...season-1 though, instead of a crater a monument was built.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It won't be too hard to be better than season 2.
Season 1 was great IMO.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to give it a real shot at success. For the griping about Season 2 of TD, it had some high points, like the shoot-out from hell. Plenty of weak writing and plot, but all in all, still worth watching. Season 1 was just A+ TV.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I rewatched Season 2 about six months back, and I enjoyed it more this time without the awesomeness of Season 1 looming in recent memory like it was the first time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starts Jan 13, looks like a return of the Southern Gothic genre that the 1st season was set around. Can only hope this fall in-between the 1st and 2nd season.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Mahershala Ali won an Oscar in "Moonlight", a great non-Hollywood film. As to the social-racial-justice angle, here's what one reviewer says about that:

"The season also cautiously dips a toe in addressing the fact that Wayne is a black cop investigating a case through small towns, and yet, doesn’t make that a focus. And it shouldn’t; it’s acknowledged, but allows Wayne’s story to be defined by the choices he made with the case and with his relationships over anything else."

"True Detective has come back around with a true return to form." Review

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
1. I will give this one a shot.

2. I don't think it was so much that season 2 was bad, but in comparing it to a SUPURB season 1, it was hard to not expect the same, and that bar was set very, very high.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt very let down by Season 2. I felt the whole story line was just wrong. It felt like the writers wrote themselves into a corner somehow and just killed everyone off to end it.

I will most likely end up watching this eventually. But I'll wait until the entire season has been released on iTunes/AppleTV.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm odd man out as I enjoyed season two. Yeah yeah not as good as season one but still worthwhile in my view and better than 90% of the crap put on TV these days. They could have done better with the casting for sure.

I'll be tuning in for S3.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
It won't be too hard to be better than season 2.
Season 1 was great IMO.

Agreed

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I think I hated season 2 more just because it was another flipping cop show set in Los Angeles and commiefornia. The first season was something different, hopefully this will be as well.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I rewatched Season 2 about six months back, and I enjoyed it more this time without the awesomeness of Season 1 looming in recent memory like it was the first time.

This sounds like a good strategy.

I too was blown away by season 1 & saddened after watching the first few episodes of season 2.

I am looking forward to this 3rd season....

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Hate to just say “me too”, but I was majorly disappointed in Season 2 - didn’t even finish it.

As noted, the Season 2 actors had their work cut out for them trying to follow up Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. In fact, I think True Detective is one of McConaughey’s best efforts.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post