SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    WW1 podcasts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WW1 podcasts Login/Join 
posted
For anyone interested, I found the Battle of Verdun and Battles of the First World War podcasts and so far I recommend them.

I appreciate them as they are a good account of the actual fighting and not just an overview. Its reasonably objective and doesnt get trapped in some of the more over the top "OH THE HUMANITY" that I've found in some other podcasts and youtube videos. (Not that thats not a thing but theres some that get bogged down in it).

I also have liked the Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast like Blueprint for Armageddon. If you are looking for something to listen to and like WW1, or want to know more, I think you'll be pretty happy. Also if you have some good ones to check out please list them.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I also liked the Dan Carlin series on the war. Having heard those I’d like to find others as well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I also recommend the Hardcore History Blueprint series of podcasts. Very well done.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check those out thanks

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. A few years back, I spent a few days exploring Verdun and the surrounding areas. It was amazing and haunting. There are trenches still visible, the shell craters are still visible although over grown, anbandoned forts in the woods, and warnings are posted to stay out of the craters and low areas because some of them still hold gas from the war and it is still viable all these decades later.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time I'm over there I definitely want to make the trip. I imagine theres so much to see if we just do a battlefields of Europe trip. I know atleast three of my group would love it.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
I also recommend the Hardcore History Blueprint series of podcasts. Very well done.

Just getting into this one on recommendation from my BIL. Seems pretty good so far!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'd actually pay for Dan Carlin's podcasts.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I'd actually pay for Dan Carlin's podcasts.

If you haven't heard them already, Dan has a fairly extensive back catalogue of Hardcore History shows. Only his latest dozen or so shows are free. To get the 49 older shows, you pay $70, which works out to ~$1.43 per show. Well worth the money.

http://www.dancarlin.com/produ...ation-episodes-1-49/

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Aha, got it. I was going to say, I don't think they had podcasts in WWI...

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post