SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Forged in Fire - Addicting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forged in Fire - Addicting Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
History Channel.

Yes, its a crappy typical competition on television show format. Yes, Will Willis is the nauseating host, but the contestants turn out some good and not so good stuff.

Interesting to watch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife and I like it, watch it all the time.

"Yes...it will kill." Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Templar Crusader Sword episode (latest one) was pretty amazing in how much damage those weapons did to their testing dummies. I've never seen the test weapons nearly cut those dummies in half or cut down from the top of the shoulder as deep as those did. It was pretty amazing.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'm currently on Season 3 and I love the show. Amazing and educational to watch such creativity and craftsmanship with a variety of results. On another note, I wish they would bring back Top Shot!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
I am addicted as well. I think there are currently 43 episodes on my DVR waiting to be seen. I'm beginning to think this some kind of sickness.

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with it. It looks like something kind of akin to that show from a few years ago where they'd run computer simulations of scenarios like "Spartans v. Ninjas" and "Mafia v. Yakuza," eh?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I'm not familiar with it. It looks like something kind of akin to that show from a few years ago where they'd run computer simulations of scenarios like "Spartans v. Ninjas" and "Mafia v. Yakuza," eh?

Not at all. They bring four blade smiths in and have them forge an edged weapon from various types of steel under a time crunch. After two are eliminated they send the last two home and give them 5 days to forge a larger, more complex weapon. Those two come back to get their weapons tested. The winner gets $10K.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it because the engineering and metallurgy is outside of my wheelhouse, so it's neat to see how it works.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I like it because the engineering and metallurgy is outside of my wheelhouse, so it's neat to see how it works.

I as well. Tempted to try it, but I would burn my ass off and certain to wind up terribly frustrated. I'll just watch and live vicariously.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Love this show. It will keeeeel. Aka kill

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
The Templar Crusader Sword episode (latest one) was pretty amazing in how much damage those weapons did to their testing dummies. I've never seen the test weapons nearly cut those dummies in half or cut down from the top of the shoulder as deep as those did. It was pretty amazing.

One of the few episode where the blades had the proper edge geometries.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I was on a pretty serious binge of this show but have peeled myself away from it for now. It is an interesting show for sure.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:

One of the few episode where the blades had the proper edge geometries.

Exactly.

David Mirable is a TOP TOP TOP tier knife/sword maker. EVERYONE who knows of him knew the second it was announced that he was going the trounce the competition.

The show has a hard time attracting the absolute best of the best because these people have nothing to win. They don't need the publicity and some of these people have no problems earning $10k on a couple pieces outside the show.

There was an unaired pilot with a top tier mastersmith participating. He won the show and built a gladius for the final challenge. Because it was unaired, he was able to keep the piece (no one gets to keep their pieces made on the show). He sold that sword for over $6000.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
History Channel.

Yes, its a crappy typical competition on television show format. Yes, Will Willis is the nauseating host, but the contestants turn out some good and not so good stuff.

Interesting to watch.

RMD

My wife and I enjoy watching this together. I don't think Wil is a bad host. His voice is much nasally that it was in the past (too much coke?).

He did a cool show called Special Ops Mission that was interesting.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Love the show despite its format. Will watch it over and over.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
History Channel.

Interesting to watch.

RMD

My wife and I enjoy watching this together. I don't think Wil is a bad host. His voice is much nasally that it was in the past (too much coke?).

He did a cool show called Special Ops Mission that was interesting.

Yes, I remember watching that show. It almost was good. I guess the thing I hate is his ears and man bun. But, I'm just a crusty bastard!! Wink

RMD

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I really like it as well, and the Mrs. watches it with me as well, and now she knows all the lingo about knives.

I think I have seen every episode that has been on, I DVR each season.

Can't wait for the new ones to come out.

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
What interests me the most is the last two contestants' home forges. Some are real nice, some are home made out of junk but get the job done.
They sure do have some nice old metal working equipment.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Is there a "Don't try this at home" card at the beginning of the show?

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...ire-says-report.html

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post