SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tall in the saddle w/ J.Wayne
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tall in the saddle w/ J.Wayne Login/Join 
posted
Just watched it, never heard of it before.
might be in the top seven J.Wayne movies.

Has a lot to offer.

Two leading ladies
Horse riding, wagon driving.
better than average story/plot for a western movie.
a small amount of smooching.

three good guys , three bad guys

Paul Fix helped on the screen play .

if you like duke, I recommend this,
its on youtube

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
might be in the top seven J.Wayne movies.
I think you would find few people to agree with you on that, bendable, but it is an enjoyable, early Wayne Western. Ella Raines is good in this film.

This is the film in which a woman says something to Wayne like "You hit him! I saw you! You hit that man!" and Wayne responds "Yes, ma'am- just as hard as I could."

Posts: 107257 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I think you would find few people to agree with you on that, bendable, but it is an enjoyable, early Wayne Western.

Pretty much my assessment as well. Saw it a couple of years ago, checked it out from my local library. It was fun to watch. My top 10 Wayne films would not include Tall in the Saddle, but hell, I like just about any John Wayne flick (well, except maybe that Genghis Khan one Wink)

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I like just about any John Wayne flick (well, except maybe that Genghis Khan one Wink)
You're referring to The Conqueror. That film killed a lot of people, John Wayne included.

https://www.theguardian.com/fi...hollywood-john-wayne

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]You're referring to The Conqueror. That film killed a lot of people, John Wayne included.[/QUOTE]

That's horrible, I never heard of this before.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They rode horses all over that location in Utah. The horses kicked up dust and sand from the ground and all the actors and crew inhaled it.

Smoking cigarettes didn't cause Wayne's lung cancer. Inhaling radioactive dust gave him lung cancer.

posted Hide Post
that was something i was wondering about,

in six or eight scenes they were passing saguaro cactus and ocatillo's , like they were in Arizona,

then

it looked like they were in Utah for a dozen other scenes.

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
They rode horses all over that location in Utah. The horses kicked up dust and sand from the ground and all the actors and crew inhaled it.

Smoking cigarettes didn't cause Wayne's lung cancer. Inhaling radioactive dust gave him lung cancer.

221 cast and crew members, 91 contracted cancer.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess if I wanted to nit pik,

I am not a big Geo. Hayes fan.
If I were casting , I'd have tried Andy Devine or Edgar Buchanan instead

posted Hide Post
A little Andy Devine goes a long way. Even as a child his voice and demeanor were annoying. This is a good example:

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
walter brennan would have worked for me .,as well

posted Hide Post
Walter Brennan did win three Oscars. I think I remember him most for his role in the Real McCoys. Cannot say I was a big fan.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just ran across John Wayne in Dark Command from 1940. I had never heard of it before and it was more than halfway through. I watched just enough of it to know I'm going to want to watch the entire movie if I can find it again.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of The Duke, I think one of the most iconic photos of him and his Westerns is from the movie Hondo:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Walter Brennan did win three Oscars. I think I remember him most for his role in the Real McCoys. Cannot say I was a big fan.

Brennan is great as the father of the Clantons in "My Darling Clementine," starring Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Brennan is great as the father of the Clantons in "My Darling Clementine," starring Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp.

His role in Support Your Local Sheriff was a comedic reprise of his role in My Darling Clementine.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post