SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    12 Strong... a review.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Strong... a review. Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I recently heard the book The Horse Soldiers was reissued in advance of the release of a movie titled 12 Strong.

I bought a digital copy of the book and re-read it over the last few days.

Some long-term members know I have a high degree of respect for those Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) personnel who gave their lives in service to our Republic. These women and men labored in obscurity and gave their lives, knowing the odds of official recognition is almost zero.

In 12 Strong, we learn about the National Clandestine Service (NCS) paramilitary officers and the U.S. Army Special Forces personnel tasked with taking the fight to our enemy in what became the Global War on Terrorism (GWoT) shortly after the terrorist attack on America in September 2001.

Suffice to say these brave men joined The Northern Alliance forces under three Afghans who realized the Taliban and their Foriegn fighters were Satan’s feces.

The book explained how CIA paramilitary officer Johnny Michael (“Mike”) Spahn became the first American killed in the first American Afghan War of the 21st Century. It was the first detailed discussion of how Mike Spahn died serving out Nation that I've found.

It details every engagement these brave men (Afghans and Americans alike) fought in taking the Taliban down.

It was a perfect use of CIA and Special Forces.

I recommend the book, and will update this thread when the movie comes out.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31431 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A agree it was an awesome book and gave a great over view of the NCS.

While were at the National Training Center in Jan of 2013, one of my guys had a copy and it made the rounds. I re-read it during the rotation and I liked it better the second time.

One of my favorite actors is Rob Riggle and is casted in the role of Colonel Max Bowers. Colonel Bowers was Riggle's commanding officer when he served in Afghanistan.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
A agree it was an awesome book and gave a great over view of the NCS.

While were at the National Training Center in Jan of 2013, one of my guys had a copy and it made the rounds. I re-read it during the rotation and I liked it better the second time.

One of my favorite actors is Rob Riggle and is casted in the role of Colonel Max Bowers. Colonel Bowers was Riggle's commanding officer when he served in Afghanistan.

Very cool about Riggle, thanks for that tidbit! He's one of my favorite comedians...just because I know he's not a GDC. Also, when he dresses up like a damn dirty hippie it's hilarious.

Great book, hope the movie is at least decent (all I can hope for realistically).

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post