SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    the crimes of grindelwald
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

the crimes of grindelwald Login/Join 
THIEF/banned
posted
Has anyone seen this yet, is it any good compared to Harry Porter movies ? would love to get rating without spoilers. i really thought the first part was boring.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Have you seen "Fantastic Beasts" yet? That is the first film in this new series with Nate Scamander as the main character.

Fantastic beasts is a good film with a whole new cast of characters set before the Potter story.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think he's seen Fantastic Beasts, based on his comment that it was boring. Wink

I agree that FB seemed a lacking. It coasted along on whimsical nostalgia, and it was mildly fun as a return to the Harry Potter universe, but I thought it was a bit boring too.

As a result, I'm going to wait until Grindewald hits Blu-Ray. But I'll probably see it at some point.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Completely missed that part. See what happens when you post before the coffee has kicked in.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was interesting, but it just absolutely doesn’t have the same impact of the original HP series. J.K. hopefully has something up her sleeve for the final 3 movies to ultimately tie it fully into the HP series.

I went early enough on opening day that my ticket was all of $6, so it was worth it for me.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
It was enjoyable. If you are a fan of the Harry Potter world it is worth the price of admission.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Think of this one as really starting to build a bridge that connects to the main series. You only move forward a little but the direction is clear. Ignore specific as to dates though.

We also did the $6 morning show.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big HP fan, but I've seen all eight of the HP film series and am mildly familiar w/ the JK Rowling Wizard World. I saw Grindewald on Sun as part of a family outing. I didn't care to see it; I went only to spend time w/ relatives.

I haven't seen Fantastic Beasts and therefore, didn't know what the hell was going on in CoG. I think most of the HP films work as stand-alone films if you haven't seen any of the previous ones, except for #8, since they spread out the last book into two movies. Most Star Wars movies and the LoTR trilogy also work as stand-alone films.

I liked the Nate protagonist. He isn't so Mary Sue/Marty Stu as Harry Potter. The actors who play teenage and adult Nate do really good jobs. Most of the rest of the cast, not so much. There is a lot of weak acting, including Johnny Depp, who was phoning it in.

The romantic relationship between Queenie and Jacob seemed lifted straight out of Guys and Dolls.

Rowlings' "Dumbledore is gay" reveal from 2007 plays a part in the plot.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I think he's seen Fantastic Beasts, based on his comment that it was boring. Wink

I agree that FB seemed a lacking. It coasted along on whimsical nostalgia, and it was mildly fun as a return to the Harry Potter universe, but I thought it was a bit boring too.

As a result, I'm going to wait until Grindewald hits Blu-Ray. But I'll probably see it at some point.

I agree that the first FB wasn't quite up to snuff, but that redhead sure was cute.

Haven't seen the second one yet. I'll probably wait until it streams.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
“Fantastic Beasts” is to the “Harry Potter” universe, what “Last Jedi” is to the “Star Wars” universe—all CGI with no plot development. As such, those movies are now “dead to me”. Frown

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I just got back from seeing it with my 28 year old son. We both came out scratching our heads.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harry Potter while a good read or listen really struggles when you begin to do a little bit of thinking.

Christopher Nuttle does some excelent reviews of the whole series.
https://www.superversivesf.com...atedposts_position=0

I have books, movies, and audiobooks. I listen or watch every 18 months or so. They are not aging well. I think if Rowling had let them end, most of the fans would not have become so cynical about the series. The vibe would not have changed. Yet, she was tempted into discussing them at every opportunity. Trying to explain away this or that, cover for this social want of x group, explain plot holes, or lousy love interests. People have soured on it intellectually.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I think this movie was the worst of the whole series in Harry Potter world. First Fantastic Beasts movie was great - this one, nope.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I just got back from seeing it with my 28 year old son. We both came out scratching our heads.

I've seen all 8 HP movies, read all the books several times, and loved FB. I walked out of this one wondering what the heck I just saw.

It was too dark and deathy for me. I have no plans to see any more of them in theaters, and will wait to borrow for free at my library.

There were tons of plot holes, the original chemistry between Newt/Tina and Jacob/Queenie was just gone (though I thought Leta was well acted).

I guess the fun was gone from this one. Even in the darker (6/7a/7b) main HP movies, there was a lot of fun and joy. This one was just mostly depressing (though I STILL want a Niffler).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post