SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The movie Being There
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The movie Being There Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted
Watched it again last night. Took me a few times to really like it. Anyways,,

The end of the movie where Ben Rand (Melvyn Douglas) is being carried to his final resting place. His mausoleum is a pyramid with the All Seeing Eye at the top. Questions I have are, since this was 1979
Is the mausoleum shape because he was a Freemason, patriot, or important industrialist?
Or a nod to Ayn Rand?
Back in 1979 few people had heard of the Illuminati, and those that did only because of John Todd. Seems the pyramid and Eye are popular Illuminati symbols from what I’ve read. They are everywhere especially in music videos and worn by performers. I don’t want this to turn into a conspiracy thread. Just wondered the significance of it. Did I miss the references to the Freemasons?
Am I reading too much into the ending?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but 1/2 dz of us were at a bar that was famous for running movies for bar/restauarnt patrons. Well we ate, then drank and drank and drank. The movie played 3-4 times before we decided to go home. Well there 14" of snow had fallen and we all made home. Ahh the good old days, before the crackdown on DWI Wink
"I like to watch Eve!"

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Thought this was another Shugart post.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I believe you were correct on your observation about the "Freemason" pallbearers as I understand "Being There".

There are many who feel Chance represented Adam (or a pure innocent/spiritual being) who essentially lived in the "Garden" of Eden. He was expelled after the death of the old man and he finds "Eve". Chance makes many references to gardens in the film.
His innocence allows him to do many things, (including walk on water). He doesn't know that he can't.
As they carry Rand in his casket, his Masonic Brotherhood "Kingmakers" decide Chance will be president, essentially closing the circle. Great film.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I remember this movie. It's the only movie I've ever paid for, and got up and walked out on.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I remember this movie. It's the only movie I've ever paid for, and got up and walked out on.

I did that with Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid and I like cowboy movies.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

I saw this was on the other night, I was reminded how tedious it was. A one-note symphony that seemed to ask me to infer nuance and meaning that I resented having to supply. I did stick it through back in the day, never again. The one movie I did walk out on was "Dog Day Afternoon".

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I saw it a long time ago because of Peter Sellers, or Peter O'Toole. If it was a genius movie then that went right by me. IIRC, it was loosely based on Dosty's The Idiot. I watched the Kurosawa Idiot movie. It was okay.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Speaking of walking out of a movie, we only did that once. Beyond Therapy. A Robert Altman movie, thought it would be good. Can't say awful too many times.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Never have seen this one.

The one I walked out on was Zardoz.

I would have walked out on A Death in Venice, but I was there because the my girlfriend at the time wanted to see it. Makes me smile to think about it. I did NOT get that “film,” unsophisticated philistine that I am.

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great movie! never picked up on the Freemason thing.

I saw Chance as possibly the "second coming" due to the "walking on water" and speaking in parables. (sort of)

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post