SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Discovering Bruce Catton
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discovering Bruce Catton Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
Even though I've heard of Bruce Catton since I was young, for some reason I'd never read any of his work.

Recently, however, I saw an offer for a double volume of 'Grant Takes Command' and 'Grant Moves South' so I bought it. I am only about 100 pages into it, but is excellent.

Checking wikipedia, it seems these two volumes were written by Catton to finish a 3-volume series started by Lloyd Lewis (Captain Sam Grant).

Catton also wrote a 3-vol history of the Army of the Potomac and a broader 3-vol history of the Civil War (Centennial of the Civil War).

I'm wondering:

-- Are the two trilogies as good as 'Grant Takes Command'?

-- How is Lewis's 'Capt. Sam Grant'? If it's good, I may pause 'Grant Takes Command', find a copy and start with 'Capt Sam Grant'.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out the trilogy by Shelby Foote too.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
You might want to check out the trilogy by Shelby Foote too.

Read that. It is excellent too. Thanks.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CoolRich,

When reading about that war, one can't go wrong with Any of Bruce Catton's works.

Bruce Catton's America is a collection of some of Catton's best writings and a good place to start. A trilogy that you mentioned in your post: The Centennial History of the Civil War is, at least for me, a great read as well. You might also find a used copy of The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War, also written by Catton. Finally, you might enjoy Bruce Catton's, Reflections on the Civil War.

I second the recommendations for Shelby Foote. It's just that Catton is Catton; for me, all of his works are worth the time spent.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read both of his trilogies, but not 'Grant Takes Command' or 'Grant Moves South.'

His trilogies are excellent, among the best books I've ever read, and pretty much the definitive histories of the Civil War. A short reference in one of his books led me to 'Grierson's Raid -- A Cavalry Adventure of the Civil War' by Dee Brown, then to Brown's 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee', then to many other history books about the era.

I can't tell you about your first read, but I highly recommend that you continue along and get the rest of Catton's work.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CoolRich,

Perhaps you've done a good deal of reading on this subject already, but in any case here are a couple of other books that helped me in my studies:
Who Was Who in the Civil War
and to help me visualize the events of the war, the Illustrated Atlas of The Civil War, by Time-Life books.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I'm going to track down some of these other Catton works.

quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
Bruce Catton's America is a collection of some of Catton's best writings and a good place to start.

Don't have to look too far. I bought this book and forgot about it. I have never even opened it! Eek

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Catton's Civil War trilogy--Mr. Lincoln's Army; Glory Road; and A Stillness at Appomattox--should be required reading for every American. They are truly stunning. I dare anyone to read his description of Sheridan--riding back to the front at Cedar Creek from Winchester with his army shouting "Sheridan! Sheridan!" As he galloped on his great horse Rienzi--without getting goosebumps.

If you have any love of history, any love of your country, you will not regret reading these great books.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

If you have any love of history, any love of your country, you will not regret reading these great books.

Well said.

I have these three, but have already told the wife that if she is wondering what to get me for my birthday, I'd like the some more of these books.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Heres a curveball. Consider adding James McPherson CW literary for consideration. I've had the pleasure of attending a colloquium in which he was the master in lecture. He knows the subject as if he was there...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post