SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Doctor Sleep (film)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Sleep (film) Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Being such a massive fan of Stanley Kubrick, but loathing horror films, well I had to see this even if it made me cringe. The Shining was a masterpiece, like all of Kubrick’s work, so I had to see if the sequel would tarnish Kubrick’s film. It didn’t. This was actually very well done. Pays homage and at the same time something completely new. Decent sequel.

McGregor was superb once again. The guy must be on something because he seems to age much much slower than the rest of us. Rebecca Ferguson was also excellent, playing the evil bitch. Kyleigh Curran, playing the child, was surprisingly good too. And Cliff Curtis was in it, and also excellent. I’ve liked him as an actor since Blow and Training Day. At first I thought, here we go, more SJW bs, but no. I expected this to be a B film but turns out I was dead wrong and this was an excellent movie.

On 4k and in Dolby Vision, it was close to being reference in both picture quality and sound. You could make out individual hairs on McGregor’s beard. I’m sure on Blu-Ray it’s also excellent. Give it a watch if you passed on it prior. Some great writing (thanks to King mostly) and innovative ideas that expand from the Shining, at least the film version.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I read the book back in 2013 and liked it a lot. When the movie came out I had to have it. I got it on BD only since the 4k disc didn't come with the director's cut. I wish the studios wouldn't pull that shit. Anyhow the BD does have the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. It's a good flick, I enjoyed it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Absolutely loved it! The wife and I saw it in the theater and I had a smile on my face the whole time. Incidentally, I went to school with Danny Lloyd, he played the little boy Danny in the Shining. He also had a small part in Doctor Sleep.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liked it quite a bit. Preferred the book, which was the first SK book I ever read. On my third now.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
The film was pretty good. I like that director, Mike Flanagan. He's really good with filming quiet creepy scenes sans shaky cam, typical jump scares, and ubiquitous overpowering generic ominous music. His previous Stephen King outing, Netflix's Gerald's Game, was also decent. Even the films that don't quite come together at the end, like his Absentia, Oculus, Hush, and Before I Wake, still have moments of impressively unsettling scenes. I think my one main complaint about the Doctor Sleep movie was that I didn't find it that scary, but I've never found Kubrick's Shining movie to be that scary either.

I still think the best example of Flanagan's work is Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House show. I thought that was chock full of genuine freakiness despite eschewing Shirley Jackson's original story completely. I'm looking forward to his upcoming Bly Manor/Turn of the Screw adaptation.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just saw this.

I didn't really understand it, perhaps because I only saw parts of The Shining and didn't understand that either. But I got the gist here.

Pretty well done for as much as I understood.

Just two comments:
1) they miscast Rebecca as a bad character. I'd follow her anywhere and do anything for her. Ever since she was in the M:I movie, she's captivated me whenever I see her.
2) Carl Lumbly(?) - wow, he's aged. Why does he look so old while Jennifer Garner doesn't - weren't they in Alias together as peers? Or maybe just a good make-up job for the role?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Carl Lumbly is 70 years old. He’s been in TV and film since Cagney and Lacy at least.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Carl Lumbly is 70 years old. He’s been in TV and film since Cagney and Lacy at least.

I was very excited to see Carl Lumbly playing Scatman Crothers in the film. He and his family were steady customers at the video store I worked at in the 2000s. They were the most friendly and chill customers.

Carl's wife was Vonetta McGee, who he worked with on Cagney & Lacey. Vonetta acted in films such as Blacula, The Eiger Sanction, and Repo Man. I always wanted to talk to her about her blaxploitation films, but she was too embarrassed by them. I thought they were awesome. Vonetta died in 2010 which was the last year my video store was open.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like Carl. He’s a good actor. I was surprised to see him, and also look old relative to garner. His characters also seem to have some grit.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post