SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Did Tom Horn really murder Willie Nickell?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Tom Horn really murder Willie Nickell? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm watching Tom Horn this afternoon.

We must have some history buffs familiar with the case. For those of you who studied the trial of Tom Horn, have you come to a conclusion? What do you think actually happened?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I believe he did it. It matches his M.O, the kid was wearing his fathers coat (or hat I forget which) and he confessed. Yes he was bragging and maybe exaggerating, but I think he did it.

I don't think he would have really cared that it was the wrong guy, or that it was a kid. He was a killer.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read up on it quite a bit and think he is good for it.
The drunken confession made me wonder at first but overall he appears guilty.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
2 of 3 Horn biographers Think so. Author of The Saga of Tom Horn, Dean F. Krakel, speculates that Horn shot Nickell in a case of mistaken identity. Larry D. Ball, author of the recent Tom Horn in Life and Legend, believes he did kill Nickell. Tom Horn: Blood on the Moon, Author Chip Carlson argues that Horn was railroaded and probably didn’t kill the youth.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Did the author propose an alternative killer?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Lord Vaalic...I think he killed him. He was hired to "do a job" and he was a man of his time...but it could have been a possible case of mistaken identity. Remember these were the days before modern optics and there was not that separation of "young" and "old" as far as dress like we are accustomed to. Also, there was no social media, so bragging about a "great shot" would have been in a bar among his peers rather than Facebook Wink...all things considering, he killed the kid...at least IMHO.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A neighbors son, Vic Miller
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Did the author propose an alternative killer?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there were two incidents before his killing and two after .

the feud between the two families ( neighbors)
must be considered.

sure, Tom had no qualms with shooting some one dead, but it kinda seems unlikely that he had probable cause or justification to shoot the teenager.

and the dep. Marshall may have felt the need to make a name for himself at Tom's expense.

but since there were no witness's it's unlikely that it will be known for sure

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post