SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dark Phoenix Spoiler Thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark Phoenix Spoiler Thread Login/Join 
posted
Saw it with my son and it’s probably the most disappointing Marvel movie in recent memory. Fantastic Four disappointing. It doesn’t seem like there was any effort in writing the script, the story was flat. There’s an alien race which we know nothing about. Sophie Turner is weak as Jean Gray and Cyclops is whiny. Fassbender and McAvoy are the saving grace but can’t save this sprinkle covered turd.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I had to laugh at you stating Cyclops is whiny. Just like his earlier version.

I haven't actually seen the movie but I've seen the reviews, which are fairly unanimous in declaring this movie to be awful. Someone even said that Apocalypse was better than Dark Phoenix, which is telling.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I want my $$ back. And my time. I skipped the Fantastic Four SJW reboot. I should’ve skipped this one too.

Believe the reviews.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Is she evil then? Just curious.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Fassbender and McAvoy but I can't see a future with the kids and the timeline. Besides, without Jackman in his noted role, in my opinion he carried most of the movie series, X-Men will die off like others before it.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jean turns evil but then saves the day, sacrificing herself in the process. If it sounds familiar, that's because it's very similar to Xmen United. The story writing is incredibly lazy. Say what you will about Xmen Apocolypse but they at least tried to adapt one of the many story lines from the comics for a movie. This one is a straight up reboot.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
Jean turns evil but then saves the day, sacrificing herself in the process. If it sounds familiar, that's because it's very similar to Xmen United. The story writing is incredibly lazy. Say what you will about Xmen Apocolypse but they at least tried to adapt one of the many story lines from the comics for a movie. This one is a straight up reboot.

A badly done reboot. I was thinking about going to see it but then a i saw a couple reviews like those posted in this thread..... and then I saw this:

After watching the Avengers Endgame and then re watching all the movies leading up to it and some subtle references in those movies to events in Endgame. Well, it was nice and good story telling that the MCU had a plan and story line from the beginning. The X Men series plot lines are seemingly drunken writers throwing darts at a wall full of post its to get their ideas for each new film.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
X-Men needs care and nurturing like Avengers.

They should have taken their time.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
Saw it with my son and it’s probably the most disappointing Marvel movie in recent memory. Fantastic Four disappointing.

It's worth pointing out that the X-Men movies (and Fantastic Four movies) have been made by 20th Century Fox, not Marvel Studios, and with the exception of Logan, which is fantastic, they range from OK to terrible.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Best comment on it I have seen:

This is going to bomb so hard that Hiroshima will feel sorry for it!

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So X-men reboots are going the way of Spiderman & Batman reboots?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
People keep throwing around the word reboot without thinking about what it really means. Dark Phoenix isn't a reboot since it's the fourth movie in the First Class series. It's just a rehash of The Last Stand. Apparently, Fox decided to shit all over the story one more time before finally turning over the reins to Marvel Studios.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I got to see it for free and still left the theater pissed for wasting hours of my life and $10 for popcorn.

Crap story and acting. No redeeming qualities. Avoid even if free.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Superhos = wait for it on disc and watch it at home.

The X men was really the franchise to fire off all this men in tights comic book stuff. Starting with Singer’s X-men in 2000, well that got us to where we are today with all these comic book films every year. Like everything Hollywood does, when they find something that works, they exploit it for every single nickel they can. Well it’s getting to be burnout from many of us, Marvel or otherwise. Fuck Star Wars Fatigue, the men in tights fatigue is even more for me. Happy to watch these at home because the 4k disc releases are mostly in Atmos now with decent 4k disc conversions. But the theater? Save your money. We need to get back to writers writing original material in this space. Original stories with good directors. How many X men films have they made? The original X-men, the second generation X-men, the spin off Wolverine films, I mean stick a fucking fork in it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Like everything Hollywood does, when they find something that works, they exploit it for every single nickel they can.

Concur! Can you say Shaft? Gesh Louise!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post