SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Racket on TCM film noir
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Racket on TCM film noir Login/Join 
posted
Another Howard Hughes production. The best part of this film is Robert Ryan who does a great job of portraying an angry sociopath. Mitchum and Lizabeth Scott in secondary roles.

The scene where Ryan is aggressively eating an apple is great.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan was underrated as an actor IMHO, and like Robert Mitchum was at his best playing rougher parts.
On Dangerous Ground.
Act of Violence.
Bad Day at Black Rock.
The Naked Spur.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it and it was OK, but was expecting more, considering the star power. Mitchum seemed to just be sleepwalking through his part. Too restrained, even by his standards.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
[ quote ]Mitchum and Lizabeth Scott in secondary roles. [quote ]

Just to nit-pik, I consider Mitchum as the primary star Cool

New to me, never to old to learn something old.
This is a remake of a Howard Hughes version from 1928. I thought his film making started much later.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just to nit-pik, I consider Mitchum as the primary star

^^^^^^^
Ryan had the better performance and the lines. Calling Lizabeth Scott a clip joint canary and another time referring to her as dime a dozen.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:

New to me, never to old to learn something old.
This is a remake of a Howard Hughes version from 1928. I thought his film making started much later.

The first Howard Hughes movie that I knew of was Hells Angles from 1930, although filming actually started in 1927, from what I read.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post