SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Coen’s Brothers True Grit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coen’s Brothers True Grit Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
I haven’t seen this in years. Hard to believe it’s almost a decade old now. It was on Epix today and caught part of it and am recording the full thing tomorrow (on Demand version deletes after 30 days).

I forgot how damn funny the Bridges and Damon exchanges were. I was almost on the got damn floor laughing again. Josh Brolin is equally hilarious playing a low intellect dipshit. What a great movie. Can’t wait to watch the full thing tomorrow again. I love westerns and the comedic versions are some times pure Gold like this film.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Coen brothers are awesome.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a good film. Steinfeld was great in it, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a damn good film.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite scene: Cogburn booting the Indian kids off the porch at Bagbys.
The dialog between the actors was great:
Mattie: Why did they hang him so high?
Rooster: I do not know. Possibly in the belief it would make him more dead.
Big Grin

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
The exchanges between Mattie and Col. Stonehill were my favorites.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it thoroughly and watch about once a year. I have to admit that I like it better than the original.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15557 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I enjoyed it thoroughly and watch about once a year. I have to admit that I like it better than the original.

I like it so much I had to watch the original which I had no interest in through all these decades. The original was much better than I expected, glad I finally saw it but doesn't compare to the magical remake.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
It honestly has to be in my top three favorite movies.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly was a good movie, especially in that it was a remake of an absolute classic. The most redeeming part of the remake was that they actually stayed true to the book at the end.

With that said, you still can't beat Wayne in the scene with Robert Duval and his men on the other side of the clearing... and those classic lines:

"I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!"

"Fill your hands you son of bitch!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SDQcKAxkgU

I think that scene is still better than the remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAXjMj6mfU

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am generally not a fan of any of the actors in the remake. I really have a hard time watching movies that they are in.

I much prefer John Wayne in most cases.

This movie isn't one of them. It was good, enjoyable and rewatchable.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
two thumbs up for their True Grit.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
The exchanges between Mattie and Col. Stonehill were my favorites.

Are we negotiating again?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

She should have won the academy award. She did a great job.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it quite a lot.

As much as we tend to complain about modern re-makes - I thought it was top-notch, even better than the original in some ways.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

She should have won the academy award. She did a great job.
Many people praised her for the fine job she did. I thought she did it too well. However precocious Mattie is, one rightfully expects a certain degree of naivete from a 13yr old. She just seems too articulate and at times felt like she's reciting her lines like that fast talking guy in those old Federal Express commercials. The new Mattie always seem ready with a witty retort at any situation. The original played by Kim Darby was more believable.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was surprised at how good it was. They did a great job of creating an authentic look and feel of the period, something that John Wayne's movies never really did. The only thing I didn't care for was Matt Damon. He just seemed miscast for the role and especially didn't seem like someone who was a Texas Ranger but I felt the same about Glen Campbell.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am torn between the two versions, really loving both. Big fan of Jeff Bridges, not so much of Matt Damon anymore. I did not expect to like this movie as much as the original, but I did and I do. " I Bow Out"

Posts: 28 | Location: MS | Registered: May 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post