SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "A Pound of Meat" Soldier Food in the 18th Century
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"A Pound of Meat" Soldier Food in the 18th Century Login/Join 
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted
I rabbit-holed into this series of videos combining history and cooking. Since many members have an abiding interest in both, I thought I'd post a couple. There's simple instructions on preparation, if one was inclined.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I literally just finished watching that first video on a random whim, popped back on the forum to browse and you posted this thread, lol.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the channel. I've seen several of his episodes. While I don't have a particular interest in trying any of the recipes he demonstrates, I've found it very educational about life back then.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy!
My other half loves his channel and has done a number of 18th century several course meals from the channel for us and our friends; all very well received and so very tasty!!

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

I love fried chicken, and this sounds definitely different from what I'm used to. I think I might need to try this one. 1736 recipe from a cookbook with a Latin name with a few ingredients I've never heard of? Yeah, I'm game.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Did anybody see the episode where he addressed the political commentary from a previous show? It was in an episode where a dessert called "orange fool" was prepared. I think you see where this leads.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
From the Great War Channel on YT, only 100 years ago....

https://youtu.be/8ntLR2kEMc0

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I may have to try that chicken this weekend. Looks good.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Alright, I made this fried chicken tonight, and I have to say...it was really good!

First few pieces I made as is, except that I used a chardonnay rather than a rhenish (my little grocery store has a limited selection of wines). The combination of the wine and lemon gave it a great tangy character. Really good, but I thought, "could be better".

So, taking a cue from Chef John, I added some cayenne to the batter for the second batch and that took it up a notch or two. Gave it a little zing along with the tang.

I'll be making this again. I liked it a lot. Might try it with buttermilk instead of wine, but that might add a little too much tang.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Alright, I made this fried chicken tonight, and I have to say...it was really good!

First few pieces I made as is, except that I used a chardonnay rather than a rhenish (my little grocery store has a limited selection of wines). The combination of the wine and lemon gave it a great tangy character. Really good, but I thought, "could be better".

So, taking a cue from Chef John, I added some cayenne to the batter for the second batch and that took it up a notch or two. Gave it a little zing along with the tang.

I'll be making this again. I liked it a lot. Might try it with buttermilk instead of wine, but that might add a little too much tang.

wife and I may try this next week,
the renish is juice from unripe grapes,,, may try some green grapes crushed,,

re the buttermilk,

my grandparents and mother have used it in the past, soaked overnight,

they were using yard birds, as in literally going out to the yard and catching a rooster or hen that had stopped laying,

delicious

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
A super thanks for posting this. Not only are the videos awesome, I now have a place to buy a real tricorn hat and maybe a period coat.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
A super thanks for posting this. Not only are the videos awesome, I now have a place to buy a real tricorn hat and maybe a period coat.

Yes, they have a pretty neat store on the website. I bought flint, a steel striker, and a tobacco box to store it in with some char cloth a couple of years ago from them. It's a great little kit for my get home bag.