SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I just binged all three John Wick movies...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just binged all three John Wick movies... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The first movie was entertaining, brought a certain look that Hollywood hadn't done.
The sequels were simply a few exotic locations and a bit more background on the Continental/High Table and more gun-fu piled up. Lot of more, lots more

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Ever notice that John Wick's guns never eject empties? I suppose they're afraid he might slip and fall with casings on the floor and all that fancy footwork.

Also, most movies and TV shows have moved away from using blanks these days, for safety reasons and cost savings. Even without some freak accident like something being lodged in the barrel and turning into a projectile, the physical muzzle blast from blanks prevents them from being safely used at closed range or in certain other situations.

Many prop guns these days are totally non-firing, often with electric or gas blowback actions, and the muzzle flash is added in digitally during post-production. Safer, and cheaper.
Yeah. Most of it must be CGI, because a lot of JW's shooting is directly into a person at very close range--couldn't fake it with camera angles and real blanks would be very harmful.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
It would be great if the bad guys became as disabled/dead as smoothly/instantaneously as in the John Wick flicks. Unfortunately that's not the case. Frown

He shoots a lot In The head.

I loved the first 2. I thought 3 was pretty stupid.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I just watched #3 for the first time and much prefer the first two. At least one of the hand to hand fight scenes was entirely too long and I started losing interest and fast forwarded....enough with the shattered glass already.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
The first will be a cult classic forever.

The second and third kinda jumped the shark a bit, but when you realize they movies are really just vehicles to show off what stunt men can do, it's enjoyable.

Honesty I want more Continental/High Table world building. That's at least half of what got me to tune in for the third chapter.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
I just watched #3 for the first time and much prefer the first two. At least one of the hand to hand fight scenes was entirely too long and I started losing interest and fast forwarded....enough with the shattered glass already.

The scene with the ninjas and their boss in the glass room went on so long my wife was all 'ffs kill him/them already!'

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First two were great. Number 3 was terrible. I'm not expecting much from number 4.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Posts: 43 | Registered: March 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I know I run the risk of being hated for this comment, but am I the only one who thinks these movies are ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some gratuitous violence as much as anyone. But all the headshots and the fake blood/brain splatter and all the theatrics between shots is just too much, IMO.

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
I know I run the risk of being hated for this comment, but am I the only one who am I the only one who thinks these movies are ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some gratuitous violence as much as anyone. But all the headshots and the fake blood/brain splatter and all the theatrics between shots is just too much, IMO.

Yes, but no reason to hate.
Watch what you want, always a clicker available.
The saying "Are we entertained?" > Yes to everyone else and NO to you. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
I know I run the risk of being hated for this comment, but am I the only one who am I the only one who thinks these movies are ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some gratuitous violence as much as anyone. But all the headshots and the fake blood/brain splatter and all the theatrics between shots is just too much, IMO.

Yes, but no reason to hate.
Watch what you want, always a clicker available.
The saying "Are we entertained?" > Yes to everyone else and NO to you. Eek

Haha, yeah true! Do I get partial credit for like Keanu Reeves? Smile

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I run the risk of being hated for this comment, but am I the only one who thinks these movies are ridiculous?

Of course they are ridiculous! Thats the whole point.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I run the risk of being hated for this comment, but am I the only one who thinks these movies are ridiculous?

I'm sorry, what? Everything in these movies should be standard CQC training!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was going to binge watch all three this weekend, but after watching the first one tonight, I don't think so. My lord that was fucking stupid. After hearing people go on and on about it the last few years, man was I disappointed. Frown

The best thing about it was the cast, a full lineup of recognizable character and supporting actors.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My lord that was fucking stupid.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Had I known the story took place in an alternate universe, some Marvel comic like organized super villain world, I would’ve known wåhat to expect. (and probably wouldn’t have watched)

Entertained? Not particularly, I left it on, on the other screen and paid less and less attention as it went along.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post