SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I just binged all three John Wick movies...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just binged all three John Wick movies... Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
and now I have to wait until 2022 for installments 4 & 5.

I know there have been several threads in the past about the movie(s) but I just wondered if anyone else had noticed the hat tip to The Matrix in JW3? Winston asks JW what he needs in the finale and he replies 'Guns, lots of guns'.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I don't know anyone who didn't catch it. I saw it opening weekend in a crowded theater and the entire theater kind of tittered at the line.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Love all these movies. And hopefully you all caught the hat tip to Tuco's scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in John Wick 3 . Cool

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Yep, I did.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wick 3 - another nod to the Matrix films is the inclusion of both Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne. Fishburne is the Bowery King, lives in an alternative world, then you have scene where Fishburne has to chose between a red and blue container from his locker, like the red and blue pills in The Matrix.

Wick 2 - all the baddies in the club wore red shirts and they all died without any speaking parts, ala Star Trek where if you wear red, you are dead....

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the JW movies. Kind of a guilty pleasure.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
HRK, the Bowery King was in John Wick 2, also.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Good gratuitous violence. A completely entertaining series of movies IMO.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Thanks for mentioning him - All I can think of now is "Seven Million Dollars is a lot of money Mr. Wick" and "Somebody please get this man a gun !! " Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I need to binge them, without commercials.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I always have a glass of Blanton’s when I watch these movies. That classy bourbon is featured in JW1 and 2.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Thanks for mentioning him - All I can think of now is "Seven Million Dollars is a lot of money Mr. Wick" and "Somebody please get this man a gun !! " Big Grin

We're going to Applebees!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever notice that John Wick's guns never eject empties? I suppose they're afraid he might slip and fall with casings on the floor and all that fancy footwork.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It would be great if the bad guys became as disabled/dead as smoothly/instantaneously as in the John Wick flicks. Unfortunately that's not the case. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
the Wick movies are awesome. Great fun, true popcorn action. Can't wait for the next two.

And no frickin shakey cam.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
It would be great if the bad guys became as disabled/dead as smoothly/instantaneously as in the John Wick flicks. Unfortunately that's not the case. Frown

That's one of the things I liked about Samuel L. Jackson's Shaft. People didn't die right away.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Wick 2 - all the baddies in the club wore red shirts and they all died without any speaking parts, ala Star Trek where if you wear red, you are dead....

The Clubs guys When he fights his way out in the First Wick wore red as well. I saw that but didn’t connect the Star Trek reference. Nice catch.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Ever notice that John Wick's guns never eject empties? I suppose they're afraid he might slip and fall with casings on the floor and all that fancy footwork.

Also, most movies and TV shows have moved away from using blanks these days, for safety reasons and cost savings. Even without some freak accident like something being lodged in the barrel and turning into a projectile, the physical muzzle blast from blanks prevents them from being safely used at closed range or in certain other situations.

Many prop guns these days are totally non-firing, often with electric or gas blowback actions, and the muzzle flash is added in digitally during post-production. Safer, and cheaper.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Yamamotoyama Ryuta, " Sumo Assassin" required some extra killing in JW II

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

Also, most movies and TV shows have moved away from using blanks these days, for safety reasons and cost savings. Even without some freak accident like something being lodged in the barrel and turning into a projectile, the physical muzzle blast from blanks prevents them from being safely used at closed range or in certain other situations.

Many prop guns these days are totally non-firing, often with electric or gas blowback actions, and the muzzle flash is added in digitally during post-production. Safer, and cheaper.

Google-Fu Tidbit.....

But on location in New York City, Stahelski and Leitch had to exercise caution when it came to staging shootouts and car chases, and not just for safety. Their filming permit didn’t allow for blank ammunition, so computer-generated muzzle flashes were often used. The permit also prohibited cars from speeding even when streets were blocked off.

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post