SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is "Anthropoid" a remake of "Operation Daybreak"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is "Anthropoid" a remake of "Operation Daybreak"? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Anthropoid just opened down here and the sinopsis reminds me of the 1975 movie that had the quality of sticking with me all these years.

Wonder if the new release is as good or as bad of some of the reviews I've found.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
While not a remake, both films are based around the same historical event - the ambush of SS-Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich by British-trained Czech Resistance assassins in Prague during 1942.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue-

You need to go on Jeopardy or something. Your wealth of knowledge amazes me.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but much of it is just strong Google-Fu. I'm way dumber when speaking solely from memory. Big Grin

(Although I did know this one off the top of my head, being a massive WW2 history nerd and all. Wink)

Looks like there have actually been 7 film adaptations of this event:
Hangmen Also Die! (1943)
Hitler's Madman (1943)
The Silent Village (1943)
Atentát (1964)
Operation Daybreak (1975)
Anthropoid (2016)
HHhH (2017)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Anthropoid just opened down here and the sinopsis reminds me of the 1975 movie that had the quality of sticking with me all these years.

Wonder if the new release is as good or as bad of some of the reviews I've found.

0-0
"Operation Daybreak" is one of my 5-star movies, meaning it has between 400 and 800 muzzle flashes (actual count 435).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Anyone has seen the new movie?

I still remember how sad I felt at the end of the old one... Frown

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:

0-0
Yeah. That scene in the basement where they are shot to ribbons was sad.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I saw it. It's worth Czeching out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I saw it. It's worth Czeching out.

Best comment I have read in months.

Good Show Sir.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
SS-Obergruppenführer Reinhard Heydrich

One individual who truly fits the term "he needed killin' ". A true evil a-hole. He actually died from an infection brought about due to pieces of the stuffing of the car seat being embedded into his sorry carcass (the seats in his Mercedes were stuffed with horse hair). And the Nazis refused to allow a Czech doctor to operate on him. Instead they waited on the Nazi doctor (was it Hitler's personal doctor? I don't recall) to arrive from Berlin by train. So Heydrich suffered a deservedly slow agonizing death.

After he died, the Nazis were ruthless in their search for the killers and their accomplices. I think they got a confession out of one by showing him the severed head of his mother. And not to mention the fate of Lidtz. A town they wiped off the map. Literally.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. Good movie, filmed in the Czech Republic, in English, lots of 1903 hammerless Colts.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Looks like there have actually been 7 film adaptations of this event:
Hangmen Also Die! (1943)
Hitler's Madman (1943)
The Silent Village (1943)
Atentát (1964)
Operation Daybreak (1975)
Anthropoid (2016)
HHhH (2017)

I think it was also re-enacted in the 'Holocaust' TV mini-series from the 70's.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just got a chance to watch this. Very well done. It does an excellent job of ratcheting up the tension all the way through the film. And it set up to be accessible and entertaining even to those who don't have an in-depth knowledge of WW2 history.

And while he's only in a couple scenes, the guy they had playing Heydrich (Detlef Bothe) even looks quite like him.

quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
And the Nazis refused to allow a Czech doctor to operate on him. Instead they waited on the Nazi doctor (was it Hitler's personal doctor? I don't recall) to arrive from Berlin by train.

That's not quite accurate.

Heydrich was operated on immediately by two surgeons, one from the hospital at which he was admitted, and another that was brought in from a nearby medical university to assist. Their nationality wouldn't have been an issue anyway. One surgeon was a German doctor from the neighboring German province of Silesia, who was in Prague teaching at a university. The other surgeon, who was the chief of surgery at the hospital in Prague, was an ethnic German from the Sudetenland area of Czechoslovakia, and in the eyes of the Nazis would have been considered to be a "real German" anyway.

The Nazis cared about ethnicity (or "race"/"blood"), rather than citizenship or national boundaries. There were millions of ethnic Germans - "Volksdeutsche" - living in many other Central/Eastern European countries at the time.

But Heinrich Himmler did send his personal SS physician, who arrived later that evening after the surgery and took over Heydrich's care.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Anthropoid is now free to watch with Amazon Prime.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

0-0
Yeah. That scene in the basement where they are shot to ribbons was sad.

flashguy

Yeah, this is a movie that stuck with me, too.
Think I was about 6 when it came out.
If memory serves, the committed suicide in the church basement.
One round for the two of them ??

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally saw this movie. I liked "Seven Men at Daybreak" better.

I read up on the agents and partisans. As usual Hollyweird just cannot portray a courageous man as a courageous man. In real life, Jan had no hand-shaking fear or worry about his job. There really are people like Sgt. Striker (John Wayne - Sands of Iwo Jima) - tough, determined, courageous, no fear (or don't show it) - but Hollywood always seems to have to weaken or feminize at least one (if not all) male protagonist in a historical film.

Also, I thought there was a lot of overacting in this film whereas "Seven Men..." was more subdued and watchable.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
While I'm not 100% positive, I believe it was Heydrich who tried to take over in the alternate history Amazon TV series "The Man in the High Castle".

I never saw season 2 of that mini-series, but season one was interesting, to say the least.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post