SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Molly Tuttle Plays a 1938 Martin D-18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molly Tuttle Plays a 1938 Martin D-18 Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
This young lady has talent that's just about off the charts. She was 24 years of age when she made this video. She's won several huge awards. I'm now a fan. I don't play any music instruments but my friends who do are amazed by her skill level.

She really makes that 82 year old guitar shine! Here's a quote from the comments section: Her hammer ons and pull offs are so purposeful and clean. Masterful playing. She plays instinctively, like a hummingbird flaps its wings.

Enjoy.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Xvo-4x3y9aU

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Love the great sound of a seasoned Martin. And she does that D-18 justice. Just listening makes me miss mine now more than ever, thanks for posting! I had an awesome sounding Martin D-28 I purchased in 1970, I often wonder how it sounds today if it's still played. The resonance of that guitar was incredible and eclipsed my later HD-35 purchased in 91'. I wish Molly a wonderful guitar journey for many years ahead, she has talent.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Wonderful playing and wonderful instruments reminds me of a great story.

My son played violin from about 4th grade through high school, first on a student violin borrowed from his cousin. His cousin assumed at one point nobody was playing it and asked for it back, so we were looking for another. His best friends mother is an accomplished player who plays in symphonies and she loaned him her backup, which was quite nice. The real story is how she came upon her dream violin.

She's in college in Texas and her sister calls gushing about her getting her dream violin. She prays to not be jealous of her sister. The next time she's home she finds her dream violin at a barn sale for $100. The bow was worth a thousand.

Posts: 7449 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the sound too.
Years ago we went to Utah on vacation. We visited a small town, named Kanab where many many cowboy movies were made, as well as the serial GUNSMOKE.
We went to eat in a restaurant there that had a side where there was a bar and tables and some entertainment. There was nobody playing when we ate. We walked to the tourist guide store there and saw a guy looking around there. I recognized that his picture was on the marquee outside the entertainment side of the restaurant.
He invited us to come watch him play and sing.
We did go. On his break, he came sat with us and bought us a drink. I told him I just loved the sound of his acoustic guitar. He told me it was an $8000 Martin. When he found out I played guitar, he invited me to come play and sing with him. Of course I wanted to see him play a while longer, so I did not go up and get us both run out.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Very nice! Flat picking has got to be my most favorite style of guitar playing.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful sound. They get better with age. My D35 is 47 years old now and is a resonant wonder. I have a Gibson J50 that’s 57 years old and has come into its own as well. I just wish I aged that well.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
She is an incredible picker and would make anything sound great, albeit, that Martin is special.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Between Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings and Marcus King there is so much guitar playing talent it's unreal. Vocals from these three also excellent. Amazing young talent.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the playing.

What is the number on the other side of the price tag?

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post