SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Do you remember the day the music died?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you remember the day the music died? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I do. The breaking news on the radio is something I haven't forgotten from 59 years ago.

Locally ads have been running for McLean's concert on the 59th anniversary of the Day The Music Died (3 February).

For you young ones, here are a few of the hits from these three artists who died in the crash. I'm sure you've heard these songs at one time or another. Smile

Buddy Holly:
-- Bo Diddly
-- That'll be the Day
-- Peggy Sue
-- It's So Easy

Richie Valens
-- La Bamba
-- Donna
-- Bony Maronie

The Big Bopper
-- Chantilly Lace

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I don’t, as I wasn’t born yet. I do vividly remember my mom talking about it

For me, the “modern” version of the day the music died was the death of John Lennon

I was kid, growing up in Hawaii, so when the news hit on Monday night football it was still the afternoon in Hawaii. I remember walking into the kitchen and seeing my mom crying at the table. It’s the earliest memory I have of seeing my mother cry.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy Holly sang Bo Diddley? Must have missed that.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Buddy Holly sang Bo Diddley? Must have missed that.

Indeed you did.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezMLB4nQlAw

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gustofer inspired me and I found this:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9M6u7-9yNE

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
One of the last gigs Buddy played was at The Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay Wisconsin. Both my brother and I played the Riverside a number of times a few years later. I don’t think we even realized Buddy had played there at the time.

Three huge losses way before their prime. RIP

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 8 when he died but I do not recall that day as 1) I lived in eastern Mass and 2) I did not read newspapers.

Buddy Holly's final gig was at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake IA. After the show, the three performers got into a Beechcraft Bonanza at the Mason City Airport, it crashed just after take off.

We visited the Surf Ballroom and the crash site a couple years ago, I'll send photos to Bald1 tomorrow as I haven't found a replacement for Photobucket.

https://www.surfballroom.com/

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12159

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ron... here are your photos:

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Here's a good article with several photos:

https://www.desmoinesregister....usic-died/301561002/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I remember as I was 11 and listened to music at night. The DJ kept playing their songs and talking about them. I suppose that could have been the next day, but I do remember it. I delivered papers then, so would have read it also.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No, but oddly enough I had a long drive today with my music on shuffle. Buddy Holly came up, and once again I thought of the great tragedy of his early death. He wrote so many great songs in his short life. What might he have produced if only...

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashman70
posted Hide Post
Still bummed about it all these years later. I was 10 and my older sister's boyfriend worked at a record store. Knowing I was a huge Holly fan he was going to get us tickets when Buddy came to Norfolk (as he was scheduled to do later in the year.) Then years later another of my absolute favorites - Otis Redding - also died in a plane crash. Funny how you can be impacted so by unexpected deaths of people you don't know....

clarior hinc honos.

Posts: 365 | Location: Pawleys Island, SC | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i was out there, but still crawling..., er laying around at least.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This performer will be here in the Quad Cities this summer, and I plan to go:

http://www.rave-ons.com/

We've seen the play "Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story." Twice.