Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Death of Stalin Login/Join 
posted
Just watched this on Apple TV. Truly a dark, funny, satire. The cast was great, and the dialogue seemed to be work all the way through.

A very positive recommendation......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I was going to see it but was too lazy... maybe on DVD.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to see it but a friend said it was the worst movie he'd ever seen.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The trailer made it look semi-slapstick and hilarious. Alas, it was neither.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it in the theater. Very funny and very dark. My girlfriend even liked it and would see it again.

Vince

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
How can you run and plot at the same time?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had read that most of the movie was based on actual events such as:

1. His guards KNEW he was dying but were terrified to respond in time
2. He lacked good docs because he'd had most of the decent ones killed or sent to the gulag
3. His son was a real fuckup and he managed to keep him out of trouble (mostly) by appointing him a General in the Soviet Air Force

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I had a great time - thought it was an enjoyable film.

It was dark, yes, but the period it covers was extremely dark. I think knowing a bit about that period in history the ironies and humor were very obvious to me, but most of the folks in the theater were laughing when I did, so the humor wasn't super-obscure.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just watched it last night. Thought it was good, not great but decent. They did a good job of showing the absurdity of living in a screwed-up Communist hellhole like the USSR.

Man, that Beria was one BAD dude.

I really thought that Jason Isaacs as Field Marshal Georgy Zhukov really kinda stole the show, though. If there ever was a Soviet version of General George Patton, I think it was this guy! Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I found it mildly entertaining. Had they not been poking fun at the GDCs, I might have liked it less.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to watching this. I have not laughed out loud that much at a movie in years.

That stated, it is very dark, cynical, and ends on a really dark note, which seemed a bit out of place. If you know much about Stalin post-WWII and the politics and characters, that would help a lot. Not for everybody, such as my wife, but they nailed it from my perspective.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At the beginning of the movie- the control booth scene. That was enough for me. I made it about 90 seconds into that, then turned it off.

Maybe in a few years

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to watching it, someone had taken off my reminder list. Pretty entertaining and funny, this is what I'd imagine if the Monty Python crew was charged with a making a movie about a horrific world figure. Took a bit to get over everyone's British accent, however since everyone had it, it wasn't an issue. The absurdity of communism and its results, is laid bare in this movie.

Some good background and compare/contrast what was real. The fight between the two commentators at the radio station is pretty hilarious.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it.
While funny, it laid bare the depravity of the regime.

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Thought it gave one an idea of the absurdity of the Communist regime.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Watched it. Some funny stuff, so a thumbs up from me. I can however see how it might not appeal to everyone. My wife left the room after 5 minutes.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Millions died laughing. Not.
No way could I watch it.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I find Netflix now has "The Death of Stalin".
We very much enjoyed this, comparisons to a Monty Python look at that time in history are worth considering. Flippant, understated and over the top. And oh yeah, the brutality.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
A name I hadn't heard before this thread of Lavrenti Beria. Did some reading and he wasn't a nice person. Also looked like a psychopath. Here's a picture of him with Stalin's daughter:

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Beria is credited with the quote "Show me the man and I'll show you the crime".

Oh, and the Katyn massacre .

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post