SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    David Lynch's Dune
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
David Lynch's Dune Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
This is one of my favorite films. Both as a film, and as an adaption of Dune.

While I'm always interested in new Dune material, frankly the style and talent in this film means it may never be surpassed.

I have a tremendous nerd boner for this movie.

Tell me of your home world, Usul.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain.

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
David Lynch's Dune

:thumbsup:

“The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
“He who controls the spice controls the universe.”
--Frank Herbert

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
It's not bad, but I prefer the mini-series version. Looking forward to what happens with this newest remake.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I remember the mini series on tv but don’t think I ever saw more than bits and pieces. Where can I watch it now? Is this the one you are referencing? Is there a book that is the same?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This is one of my favorite films. Both as a film, and as an adaption of Dune.

While I'm always interested in new Dune material, frankly the style and talent in this film means it may never be surpassed.

I have a tremendous nerd boner for this movie.

Tell me of your home world, Usul.

Tremendous nerd boner. Couldn't have said it better myself. Always dug the movie, the mini-series not so much.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Personally, the book was one of the best I ever read, so I felt the movie was a bit of a letdown.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I watch it about every 5 years or so. Good flick. Not perfect, but good. I didn't like the sound weapons - thought that was kindof silly.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
with today's CGI, they could probably do the part where the boy turns into a worm/superman.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
with today's CGI, they could probably do the part where the boy turns into a worm/superman.
I think we're about 5 movies away from that part though.

I hated the changes Lynch made but realized they were probably necessary for a stand-alone movie. The movie was beautifully filmed and cast well enough. They should have had someone younger than MacLachlan to play a 15 year old though.

It's a 4 out of 5 movie.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I like the movie a lot, despite not liking some of the more egregious changes (like the "weirding module").

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

That would depend on how they split the books up - that story arc starts in book 3 and ends in book 4.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Great visual artwork, and the Baron was very well portrayed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I hated the changes Lynch made but realized they were probably necessary for a stand-alone movie. The movie was beautifully filmed and cast well enough. They should have had someone younger than MacLachlan to play a 15 year old though.

It's a 4 out of 5 movie.

Between any book and movie, there will be changes. As far as Paul not being 15... frankly it would change the whole emotional tone of the film, and be pretty weird if they actually used tweens. I don't think it's a valid criticism to focus on age, particularly when everyone in that film is so damn good.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I remember the mini series on tv but don’t think I ever saw more than bits and pieces. Where can I watch it now? Is this the one you are referencing? Is there a book that is the same?

I have the 3 disk Directors Cut of the TV series starting Wm Hurt along with the Children of Dune DVD. Always thought Sting was exceptional as an evil Feyd-Rautha in the Lynch film. For whatever reason I never picked up the Lynch version.

It's said that Lynch's version was better filmed and acted although it strayed from the book, whereas the TV Series had acting and CGI flaws but was truer to the book.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Im very excited for Denis Villanueves version coming out.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
It's said that Lynch's version was better filmed and acted although it strayed from the book, whereas the TV Series had acting and CGI flaws but was truer to the book.

Accurate. A miniseries will generally have more time to get in more detail. Not everything gets Harry Pottered, and they didn't get those absolutely true to the books either. But then, does it really need to be?
|say no. Is the film a good film and entertaining? Absolutely, well, job done.

Because of the amount of detail possible to put in a book, and that we all see it in our minds, nothing will ever be perfect. It's a lot cheaper to build an entire world in a book than on a screen, so things will be changed.

quote:
Originally posted by matai:
Im very excited for Denis Villanueves version coming out.

I have high hopes for it.

Arc.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I like the movie a lot, despite not liking some of the more egregious changes (like the "weirding module").

quote:
quote:

That would depend on how they split the books up - that story arc starts in book 3 and ends in book 4.
I seem to remember hearing that the 2020 movie will cover half of the first book.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've got the Lynch version on Blu-ray, it's an old favorite. Never seen the TV mini-series.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to remember hearing that the 2020 movie will cover half of the first book.

True Vasili, one half only! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have minded seeing Jodorowsk's Dune, had it been made, but then, it probably would have been a huge mess. I watched this documentary and by the end I was "huh? he never read the book. Ok then."
https://youtu.be/jg4OCeSTL08

The book I finally just started reading recently. So far it seems pretty close to Lynch's, although it's been awhile, and I can't help but see the movie as I read it. I hope to see some bigger changes soon.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post