SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    David Lynch's Dune
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
David Lynch's Dune Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I am a tremendous fan of the book. I've read it once a year or so ever since I was in Jr. High. It is easily in my top 3 works of fiction. I have not been a fan of any of the adaptations. Honestly, in today's world I really wish that HBO had bought the rights and gave it a Game of Thrones treatment. The book is too dense for a two hour movie, and probably two movies. Give it an HBO budget and 10 episodes though...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Report This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The spice must flow!

With that out of the way, I can say that the Dune series was one of my Mom's faves. She was one smart cookie, so I always gave it props for getting her as a fan.

She got me to try the books. I liked the first well enough, but never read any of the others.
David Lynch's movie was good, and I also liked the mini series so I guess I'm a fan, just maybe not as much as some of the other big name sci-fi franchises.

posted Hide Post
I finally watched the mini-series recently. While Hurt is a good actor, his performance was so wooden they should have put a headdress on him and stuck cigars in his hand.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I wouldn't have minded seeing Jodorowsk's Dune, had it been made, but then, it probably would have been a huge mess. I watched this documentary and by the end I was "huh? he never read the book. Ok then."
https://youtu.be/jg4OCeSTL08

The book I finally just started reading recently. So far it seems pretty close to Lynch's, although it's been awhile, and I can't help but see the movie as I read it. I hope to see some bigger changes soon.

That documentary is fascinating. It makes it sound like the movie would have been a work of bizarre artistic genius that wouldn't have shared much more than a name with the book.

It also makes it sound like George Lucas stole the script, scratched out "Dune," and wrote "Star Wars" on the cover.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I am a tremendous fan of the book. I've read it once a year or so ever since I was in Jr. High. It is easily in my top 3 works of fiction. I have not been a fan of any of the adaptations. Honestly, in today's world I really wish that HBO had bought the rights and gave it a Game of Thrones treatment. The book is too dense for a two hour movie, and probably two movies. Give it an HBO budget and 10 episodes though...

the HBO idea has potential,,

went to see the movie with a friend when it came out,

I had read the novel at least 2x's by then,

it was great to compare a pic or scene in the movie w/ what I had read (and imagined in my mind)

and it was good to hear how things were pronounced,

I'll watch the movie when ever it is on,

side note,

I read Dune first in high school,

we had a required reading list, and The Scarlet Letter was on that list,

one day in class, we were given 30 minutes or so of reading time, (a chapter or 2, followed by a discussion)

I had my paperback of Dune nestled inside the paperback of The Scarlett Letter,

got caught,, teacher says, Lyman, Dune is not the Scarlet Letter,

I replied, Ms Harris, it is so much better tho,,

she actually agreed, but made me put it down anyway

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Lynch movie was pretty good, but no adaptation yet has really done it for me.

I also love the book. I named one of my sons Duncan at least in part for Duncan Idaho. Plus it is a cool name.

I hope the new version is good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am neither a huge fan of film not am I much of a sci-fi geek and I think that the film is a brilliant adaptation of the novel and a stand alone sci-fi masterpiece. Brilliant stuff and a great cast.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I rewatched the film, and I’m still not a fan. The Weirding Modules are just too much of a change and some of the Directors choices baffle me. The inner monologues for exposition are nearly as cringeworthy as Ford’s (literally) phoned in voiceover work for Bladerunner.

There are things I like a lot about it though. The costume and set design is spot on. Patrick Stewart IS Gurney and always will be. The music is epic in an 80s way.

I just could do without heart plugs, weirding modules, Thufir’s eyebrows, and Sting’s shower speedo...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I just could do without heart plugs, weirding modules, Thufir’s eyebrows, and Sting’s shower speedo...

Honestly, I thought the heart plug thing fit pretty well with the way Baron Harkonnen is described in the book.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have a theory that sci-fi fans can be grouped into three major catagories: Asimov fans, Herbert fans, and Heinlein fans. Me I'm squarely in the Heinlein camp, but I remember seeing Dune vividly and fondly. I had tried the book a few times, and finally finished in about a year ago. Still not my jam but I recognize the movie as striving for something great and for a scifi fan that's 80% of the way there for me.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Big Grin Amazing! Big Grin

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
It's not bad, but I prefer the mini-series version. Looking forward to what happens with this newest remake.

Timothee Chalemet is Paul, which to me is a bad casting but Denis Villeneuve is the director and he directed the best sci film in years, and best sequel in decades, Blade Runner 2049. So I am hopeful. If there is anyone who could pull it off it’s Denis. If his version isn’t good than literally no director alive could do it right.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a sci-fi nerd but have read a number of the books and saw the miniseries.

I think it will be great; squared away director who loves the book, said making the movie is his "dream." Isn't being influenced by the previous film versions (going back to the book as the source) and making it at least 2 parts. I'm in...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I remember reading this article regarding Villeneuve's version of Dune to be released late in 2020. I get the impression he's putting a lot of effort in this. I was also curious as to who will be doing the soundtrack . Hans Zimmer.

https://www.cbr.com/dune-denis-villeneuve-guide/

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I have a theory that sci-fi fans can be grouped into three major catagories: Asimov fans, Herbert fans, and Heinlein fans. Me I'm squarely in the Heinlein camp, but I remember seeing Dune vividly and fondly. I had tried the book a few times, and finally finished in about a year ago. Still not my jam but I recognize the movie as striving for something great and for a scifi fan that's 80% of the way there for me.

interesting,

I have read all 3 , and like all 3,

would really like to see the Foundation trilogy done as a series,

as well as Stranger in a Strangeland done right

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've read Dune through Chapterhouse, and the film doesn't compete with the immersive nature of Frank Herbert's writing.

Although the abomination that is the William Hurt is far outdone by the Kyle MacLachlan.

H&K-Guy

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Personally, the book was one of the best I ever read, so I felt the movie was a bit of a letdown.

^^^^^
Agreed. I've yet to see a film version that wasn't corny. OTOH, the unabridged Audible version is well done.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:

I loved all three authors and still have a lot of books from all of them.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:

I loved all three authors and still have a lot of books from all of them.

^^^^^^
Yep.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post