SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bob Balaban Fans?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Balaban Fans? Login/Join 
posted
Slow tv night, we pulled up Monuments Men to watch in lieu of a baseball game....anybody else a Bob Balaban fan? Discuss his other roles from Miami Vice to Gosford Park and......as with other times I’m sure I’ll pickup some more viewing suggestions.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I never thought of Balaban as someone who'd have fans, more of a character actor. I see him in something and I think Russell Dalrymple from "Seinfeld". I'll give him credit for being, well, kinda brave to basically start his big screen career with his "Midnight Cowboy" role.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8327 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Close Encounters is the role I always think of when I see him.

Followed by 2010.

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The only thing I really remember him from is Absence Of Malice. I enjoyed seeing him getting handing his walking papers at the end. Not a likeable character at all, but he did a good job of it.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great in Best in Show.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bob Balaban's family were pioneers in the movie theater industry.

Anyone remember him in Altered States?

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He's a guy you always like to see in a movie. He always turns in a good, solid performance as a character actor.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
My favorite roles of his is probably Thora Birch's dad in Ghost World and his appearance in Wes Anderson movies like Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest Hotel.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Absense of Malice was the one I remember

Posts: 23375 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
He likes Pasta Primavera.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Gosford Park. He more than held his own when you consider some of the real heavyweights in that cast.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3444 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like him in the 1989 film Dead Bang as the hapless Parole Officer.

Yes, Altered States. I re-watched it recently and enjoyed his work in it.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post