New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cobra Kai Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
The mini-serial reboot of the movies, taking place 34 years after the original story, and reigniting the rivalry between Karate Kid Daniel Larusso and his arch-nemesis Johnny Lawrence. The first 2 episodes are free, with the remaining 8 epis purchaseable on Youtube Red.

I've seen the first two. I find it nice to see some "old school karate" in these days of mixed everything. The inevitable cheese factor is offset by a conscious effort to make the characters more complex; neither one has a monopoly on ethical motivations. If the battle for moral highground is not enough to maintain your interest, Daniel-san's wife is hoooooooooooooot.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up about the free episodes.
I thought it was a movie sequel.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Wow. They have a target audience of all the people who's ever seen the Karate Kid series. I just finished the first two episodes.

Good character development. I like the angst part of the Kobra Kai guy.

I plan to binge watch the series when I get some time.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
So far so good...they are making Daniel out to look like the asshole.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Well, he does still do that annoying walk on his toes.
I'm really tempted to check out the rest.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YouTube Red has a free month trial, I signed up just to finish this series. No ads for a month is a bonus.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I think they're pandering to a whole contrabase that sees Daniel as the villain, blowing in from out-of-town, stealing Johnnie's girl, kicking his ass and taking the championship with an illegal head kick. But I doubt that they'll make him into a complete monster, more likely we'll get a more thorough exploration of both characters.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
watched the first episode, not as bad as I thought it would be.

Johnny - a method of fighting your pussy generation desperately needs. LOL.

Not sure Ill pay to watch it, but it was decent

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Watched the first free episodes and zI am curious to see what happens. It is interesting that Daniel and Johnny have reversed their roles a bit with Johnny being a bit of an asshole victim. It's more interesting that Daniels kid is a involved with the wrong kids and Daniel is about to take their side.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Yeah, I think they're pandering to a whole contrabase that sees Daniel as the villain, blowing in from out-of-town, stealing Johnnie's girl, kicking his ass and taking the championship with an illegal head kick. But I doubt that they'll make him into a complete monster, more likely we'll get a more thorough exploration of both characters.

Well. I mean, that's what happened, right? Don't forget the school party where he instigated the whole thing. I grew up on these movies and loved them as a kid. As an adult watching them over again, I found Daniel to be an unlikeable, whiny douche who caused a lot of problems for himself. Mr. Miyagi is the hero of the movies, not Daniel.

I'll check out the show, should be worth a watch.

* Edit - Watched the first two episodes. Really enjoying it so far. Solid character development and a neat take on some of the themes from the original films.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Assuming most of you have seen this, but just in case:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In Episode 8, Johnny runs it down from his point of view, painting Daniel as the predator.

2 more epis. I'll say in general it's better than I thought it would be. Fairly complex subplots and character interactions, but more or less held together by the cohesiveness of the karate mythos. Hey, that's how it's supposed to work!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I saw the first 2 episodes today. Definitely interesting. After all these years, I still can't stand the Larusso character.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Done! Someone got the win they wanted, but not the way they wanted it of course. And a surprise visitor at the end (that one's not hard).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
So far it is pretty good.

"they smell fear."

"wanna go inside?"

"I could eat."

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
"I found Daniel to be an unlikeable, whiny douche who caused a lot of problems for himself. "

Glad I'm not the only one. For decades thought I was the only one that didn't like him.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the OP for posting this. I watched all the episodes this week and was actually impressed with the series. Will be watching for season 2 as I hear it has been approved.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to Johnnie's friends, she had already broken up with Johnnie before she met Daniel.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
quote:

According to Johnnie's friends, she had already broken up with Johnnie before she met Daniel.

He admits as much, but they were just taking a break and Daniel ruined his chances of getting back together.

I loved the series. They did a great job of walking the tightrope. It wasn't a satire, but it wasn't a serious continuation either (which would read way too cheesy). More like a tongue just a little in cheek, self-aware, exploration of what these two characters might be like 30 years later.

I love Johnny's character, he's hilarious!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
In Episode 5 the dude was going to sell his Pontiac Firebird as he is talking on his cell as he drives by the gray tow truck and pulls up to park...

...they cut that scene out as they leased my repo looking tow truck for the day and some actor from Days of Our Lives and I are standing at the back of it.

It may get worked back in as lots of shots took place that day!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post