SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sporting Clays and Trap Shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays and Trap Shooting Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Dozens of quail (Gambel's quail) in our 6 acre lot alone. But alas I am not a hunter. It's fun to see the parade of the popcorn sized babies in the spring/summer. Here's a little family:

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trap is the only one where I have shot a perfect score . Skeet, while fun, is more boring due to the sameness of the targets. At my range, they expect you to replace the clays in the trap and I discovered I'm too old to crawl in and out of that bunker, so my trap days may be over. Sporting clays is the best, as far as the unpredictability of the targets, but it also is the most expensive. I'm retired. The sporting clays course is ten minutes from my house and my pistol, rifle, skeet and trap club is twenty minutes away. I consider myself fortunate .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I have competed in skeet, trap and sporting clays at one time or another. Sporting clays is the most fun for me.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Lots of great times here!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Fort Lauderdale the only place to shoot skeet, trap, or sporting clays in the entire county is Markham Park. It used to have a beautiful lake you shot over and trees behind it just like that. THEN, the city drained the lake to get the lead out, and some company ran everything through a trammel, and now they never put the lake back, it's just an ugly 3' deep pit where the lake used to be......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
By a slight margin, I prefer trap. It's close by, doesn't take too many hours of my time, and it's fun, I'm not too shabby. I love sporting clays, but it takes a couple of hours to get there. It is a bit more difficult for me than trap, but I like the challenge. I used to shoot trap a couple of times a month, but it's been awhile. Clays every now and then, but also has been awhile.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Getting ready for a Trap and pistol tournament at the end of the month. (hope Robar gets done with my 1911 in time)

I love SC, Trap & Skeet. There's a mental difference between the disciplines to me. I have to keep my mind from wandering during trap singles or handicap. (Thats why doubles is so much fun to me)

Coming from a hunting background, "just kill the damn thing" always works best for me on all courses of fire.
Which is why I'm the worst person to ask if the thrower needs adjusting...as long as it throws it in the air, "just kill the damn thing" and don't worry about it.

The BEST thing about shooting clay targets?
You don't have to clean 'em and there's no limit!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
They taste just like chicken Wink

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I REALLY enjoy SC's. Sadly zero courses even remotely close by.

I do shoot a couple of courses in South Jersey when I go out to visit my Mom. Red Wings at Soos Landing, and another the name I can't recall.

My favorite course though is Lehigh Valley out in PA. GREAT course.

FN in MT

The club you’re thinking of is probably M&M, but they’re only open in the winter. Lehigh Valley is indeed outstanding, but if you’re not looking to drive that far next time you’re in town, look up Falls in Langhorne. We do 5 and 10 stand twice a month, and usually either a 3 bird or flurry if there’s an extra Sunday.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot sporting clays weekly at our local range, Vernon National. Great place to shoot at if you ever in the area. I've also been to Rock Mountain in Pennsylvania which is a fun place. Would like to get down to Leigh High Valley and try it some time.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post