SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sporting Clays and Trap Shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays and Trap Shooting Login/Join 
Picture of Slugo
posted
Any of you fine fellows here participate in clay target shooting! My favorite shooting sport, started back in the 90's.

Posts: 59 | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy sporting clays, and also like skeet shooting. Trap is less interesting to me but it still doesn't suck.

I like bird hunting better, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I really enjoy sporting clays, and also like skeet shooting. Trap is less interesting to me but it still doesn't suck.

I like bird hunting better, but . . .

Busted clays don't taste very good.

Yes I like to shoot a shotgun at pretty much anything. Most of my clays shooting is as warmups to bird hunting. 5-stand is my favorite game.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I favor trap, then sporting clays, lastly skeet. I shot on the local trap range a lot before it was closed. The current locations aren't that convenient but occasionally I do break out the old 870 Wingmaster and can still smokem' when fortune looks kindly on me.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I REALLY enjoy SC's. Sadly zero courses even remotely close by.

I do shoot a couple of courses in South Jersey when I go out to visit my Mom. Red Wings at Soos Landing, and another the name I can't recall.

My favorite course though is Lehigh Valley out in PA. GREAT course.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Sporting clays FTW! Smile

Four good courses within an hour or so. When it's going to be a nice weekend, there's a core group of 3-5 of us that head out. Haven't done trap, did 5-stand once and liked it, and skeet a couple times and liked that as well.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's fun. I was never any good at it, but it was a good time with friends and I'd do it again.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Slugo
posted Hide Post
I've shot LVSC a number of times over the years. That place is spectacular. Lake shots, shaded and two levels of targets. Great Pro Shop also!

Posts: 59 | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sporting clays ! I too prefer live quail but have to drive 2 hours to Georgia to hunt them. My sporting clays/skeets/trap club is two miles away.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Id say 5 stand is my favorite followed by skeet. Fun stuff

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is trap, then sporting clays. Skeet is too much work.....or I'm just too slow.....LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The range of which I am a member has skeet and wobble (my favorite)...I enjoy both...good way to spend an enjoyable day with friends Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I enjoy it. Going to have to see if I can find an acceptable place to shoot, though. Sportsman's club to which I used to belong only allows steel shot. Don't like steel shot.

There's only one other club nearby, I think, that may have public hours on the shotgun ranges. I'll have to check.

Otherwise: I just bought us a WheelyBird thrower. If nothing else: That at the DNR-run shotgun range will suffice.

I'll get the manual thrower working right again, too, and use that for throwing doubles on occasion.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic....ONLY allows STEEL shot. What's up with that? Your range is over wetlands?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Ensigmatic....ONLY allows STEEL shot. What's up with that? Your range is over wetlands?

Not my range. Not for many years.

It's a long and sordid tale, riddled with politics. Short answer: Yes.

They had had nice skeet and trap ranges. To "fix" the problem on the trap ranges they dredged the wetlands where the lead shot had been landing, used it to fill large tubes, which they stacked up and covered with dirt, making a gigantic berm. (I've seen berms used like that on trap ranges, before, but this berm seemed to me to be awfully close to the shooting line. IDK.)

It "wasn't possible" to fix the skeet ranges, so they remained limited to steel shot. (Steel is expensive and I don't like the way it acts.)

You could still shoot sporting clays with lead (last I knew). I had never been all that fond of their sporting clays range, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love sporting clays, five stand and skeet. I never really cared for trap though. Unfortunately, the closest place to me is an hour away and crowded most of the time. I’d love to be able to go at least once a week.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

I've shot at steel only sporting clays courses. They claim their trees and vegetation through the course are a lot healthier.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot sporting clays, 10,000 rounds a year. Got pretty good at it.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I shot ATA registered trap back in the seventies. Also shot a little skeet on the side.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I prefer trap and shoot a couple of lines every weekend with my kids.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post