SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Saw Metallica tonight....kinda wish I hadn’t
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw Metallica tonight....kinda wish I hadn’t Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Sadly....my favorite band has jumped the shark.

I knew I should have stopped after they opened US Bank Stadium last year....60k plus people losing their ever loving mind....previews of new songs, crazy energy, and the only US Show for 2017. That would have put me at a clean dozen shows I've seen them.

I should have stopped at a dozen.

This time around no opening bands; instead comedian Jim Brewer did a couple hours of Metallica impressions ... ugh. I'm sure Brewer came cheaper than carrying two or three extra bands on the tour.

They played the new stuff, which is cool. That's why I went....they played the obligatory old stuff (Master, One, For whom the Bell tolls) and they even played No Leaf Clover....which was cool since they have not played that live since 2011, but they also did this very awkward Prince bit where Kirk and Robert did a metal version of When Doves Fly....it was terrible.

This is the new James, the rehabbed James. He does not swear, he talks to the audience in this soothing voice about the Metallica family, he turned the lights on so he could see the youngest fans. This is Grandpa James, I'm sure Robert will get a talking to for dropping the F-Bomb once.

We've come a long way from the days of Alcoholica, that's for damn sure; and that's fine. They guys are in their 50's, but throughout the whole show I kept thinking about Rocky III. When he was in corporate mode, and Clubber Lang came and cleaned his clock. For the future of metal, I guess we could be so lucky, LOL.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
I saw Pearl Jam last night, Vedder still drank some wine on stage, swears and they sound every bit as good as they did 20 years ago.
His best line was “ I didn’t realize BOSTON was so fucking tropical”. In his defense it was brutally hot at Fenway.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Soo what you're saying is they didn't play "So What?" Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Haven't listened to anything from Metallica after the Load CD. Bought it the first day it came out. It was so bad, I sold it to another guy before lunch.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Soo what you're saying is they didn't play "So What?" Big Grin

Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Haven't listened to anything from Metallica after the Load CD. Bought it the first day it came out. It was so bad, I sold it to another guy before lunch.

You've missed out then. Their last two albums rocked. At least in my opinion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be seeing them in January. I'm also a fan of Jim Brewer. But its a concert. There should be bands playing. I wouldn't mind a few mins from him. Or maybe have him kill time between bands, but I'm not looking forward to it being just him.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there as well sitting about halfway up in section 201 using an extra ticket a buddy had. I've listened to them for years, would not consider myself a diehard fan as most are and have never seen them live so I jumped at the chance to see them. Getting home and to bed at 2:00 am when I had to be up at 6:00 for work has been tough but I'm glad I finally saw them.

That said:
The Jim Breuer thing was extremely irritating and should have only lasted half an hour tops. I can't believe people didn't start rushing him after the first hour.

I don't know where you sat or if it made a difference but up where we were the distortion was so bad for the first few songs you could hardly hear him singing. Vocals got better but the distortion was still bad.

The Prince thing could have been skipped all together but was more comical than Jim.

Would I go see them again? Doubt it but I'm glad I finally went and saw them live at least once.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Wow. This sucks.

Saw them last year on the Stadium tour. It was good. That was show number 4 for me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
James’s voice has been shot for years. I’ve loathed everything from St. Anger to the current album. I’ll remember them from the first five releases and be happy that they left us that incredible music.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Metallica was the first concert I ever saw. Saw them at a smaller venue. Great show back then.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I quit paying them much attention after Reload, which I like.

I'll stick to the early stuff, and throughout Jason's time in the band.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Really wish I saw them awhile back. I'm not a concert goer, but I love music. Metallica is the one band I wish I would have seen live, but not sure the nowadays Metallica would really do it justice. Definitely my favorite band, so I might just do it anyway just to say I've seen them. I really should have gone with my cousin when I was young. Oh well. Notice CUT and under post whatever it's called haha. KingNothing4 would be my name if I could change.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I saw them at the Salt Palace in 1986 with Ozzy Osbourne back when they were still good.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post