SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    So I revived my 2-channel Audio Equipment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I revived my 2-channel Audio Equipment Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My system, after 20 years of ongoing upgrades.

Amplifiers: Cary SET 805 Anniv Edition Monoblocks with NOS tubes: 1950s Brimar 6SN7GTs, AVVT 300B (SL-C37s), 1940s United 845s. All caps upgraded to Duelund Cast.

Pre-amp and phono stage: Cary SLP-05 with 1950s Brimar 6SN7GTs,and Tung Sol round plate black glass VT-231 6SN7s and Holland metal-base 5AR4. Cary VT-500 phono stage with 1950s brown-base Mullard ECC35s and Holland metal-base 5AR4. All caps upgraded to Duelund Cast.

Loudspeakers: Ruark Excalibur and Essex/Ruark SW3 subwoofer. Crossovers rebuilt by Chapman Audio using Duelund Cast caps.

CDP/DAC: Cary 306-SACD Professional Version, with Audience AU24 balanced IC to the SLP-05

Turntable: SME 20-3 with SME series V arm, with Lyra Titan i cartridge. Phono stage listed above. Audience FrontRow phono cable.

ICs/cables: Audience FrontRow balanced I-connects and FrontRow speaker cables/jumpers

Power Conditioner: Audience AR12TSS Adept Response power conditioner and AU 24 SE power cords.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bryston BCD-1 CD player
Integra cd changer
Onkyo cd changer

Technics SL1200 MkII
Ortofon

Bryston B-100SST integrated amp
Anthem 225 integrated amp

Paradigm Reference Studio 40
Paradigm Reference Studio 20

I mix and match depending on mood

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2920 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I recognized that SOTA Star Sapphire table! About the pinnacle for spinning vinyl, at least for the time, maybe for all time.
Celestions-a favorite of Hi Fi News and Record Review. I was doing my cardiology fellowship in the early 80’s, I couldn’t afford to buy anything but the review magazines.

At the time, my two choices for a turntable were the Sota and the Linn Sondek LP12, and I finally chose the Sota, no regrets. I have changed the belt three times already, it is still going strong, but I only play it maybe several times a month, once a week if I'm good. In addition to my SL700s, I have a pair of SL600s that preceded the 700s. Excellent speakers, bought them used as well, but when I had the opportunity to upgrade, I grabbed it. Going to give the 600s to my son.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
currently running a small system in my guitar room

Acoustics Research turntable
McIntosh tube amp
Teac 32-2B reel to reel
Bluesound streaming audio
custom made column speakers

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Would love to see some pics for nostalgia's sake. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My cousin still uses his high end McIntosh audio system with the JBL Voice of the Theater speakers.

Miss having Panasonic in our town. They had a company store and their high end audio was dirt cheap.

Friend here in NH was the son of the Grado headphone and turntable cartridge company in Brooklyn.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Ampzilla...

What he said.

I've retired and sold off most of my "serious" gear. The only bits and pieces left are a batch of NAD electronics (bi-amps, pre-amp and tuner), all of which is sitting unloved in the basement. A couple of Nakamichi tape(!) decks still exist though I haven't powered them up in years. There's a couple of Denon CD players, and one of their DVD/SACD players. For vinyl I've still got tables from Denon, Yamaha, Technics and Rega; only the Yamaha has seen any use in the last five years. And two speaker pairs, both bookshelf sized: one a/d/s, the other a set of studio monitors by Paradigm. (EDIT: now that I just came across them, there's a stash of electronic boxes stowed in a corner of the basement; wouldn't surprise me if there's something else in there that I've long forgotten--and should've sold off, so says my wife).

Now that they're long gone, I admit that I do miss my big ol' Thiels and even my MartinLogans. But those just ate up space that over time we couldn't spare (sigh).

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cary SET 805 Anniv Edition Monoblocks with NOS tubes

Oooh, very nice.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If anyone is sitting on an unloved/unwanted (but working) 3-head Cassette Deck I may be interested.

Tascam 122s or Marantz PMD222s are ideal, various others are probably fine, even something near the bottom of 3-head decks probably is, and it definitely doesn't need to be a Nak Dragon or the like.

The 3-heads and being in working order is more important than the fringes of fancy tape decks, I intend to monkey with it for a Tape Delay and use it for intentional tape saturation as an effect.

Anywhere from $free 95 to a few hundred bucks is my budget, depending on what it is.

I watch eBay and other spots too, but figured I'd ask here. 3-Head Decks and Blank Cassettes...

Thanks.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
If anyone is sitting on an unloved but working 3-head cassette deck I may be interested.

No email address in your profile. Frown

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Would love to see some pics for nostalgia's sake. Cool

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
If anyone is sitting on an unloved but working 3-head cassette deck I may be interested.

Oops. I'll shoot you a message shortly, thanks.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Oops. I'll shoot you a message shortly, thanks.

With your amended post above, this is more than you want.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffcm...ck&atb=v192-1&ia=web

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Oh that's a very nice one, probably too nice unless you're just trying to dump it.

In the $600 range there are Tascam 122s and such. I'd like this project to be pretty cheap.

(It looks killer, yours.)