SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Indiana Jones movies — do they hold up?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Indiana Jones movies — do they hold up? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I watched ROTLA last night (Netflix) for about the tenth time. An enjoyable and well-made film, IMHO.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Raiders and Crusade, I'm fine with Temple. Im so glad they stopped at 3 instead of trying to make a stupid rehash / reboot.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of "The Big Bang Theory" where Amy watches ROTLA for the first time and ruins it for Sheldon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE6M-rhh2U

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The first (even with the snake reflections) and the third - yes.

The second with arrows bouncing off Indiana while he's climbing up a rope bridge to safety, not so much.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I like to believe that the 2nd and 4th movies in the series were never made.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Raiders is one of my top 10. Such a great film. I think Crusade is also fantastic and Temple is good but not great.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Hell yes, they hold up. I always stop when they are on USA or wherever.

Funny story, when my son was threeish or so, he became infatuated with Temple of Doom. Absolutely loved it, wasn’t scared by it or anything. It was hilarious.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I have to watch Doom with the volume all the way down. That woman screams the entire movie.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I have to watch Doom with the volume all the way down. That woman screams the entire movie.

An ex girlfriend ruined 1989 Batman for me like that by complaining about Kim Basinger screaming the whole time. Mad

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Raiders is one of my favorite movies. I still love the sunset shot of Indy and the diggers.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkuhNm-WN3g

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ Yes, that's a great scene.

I wonder if they planned it or if they were just there at the right time and took advantage of it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROLA is simply a classic because Speilberg/Lucas focused on simple methods and proven techniques. It resembles a film that is older than it is while the action doesn't overwhelm the story.

Oh the story...TLC I can live with. A entertaining flick that moves along and is believable enough. TOD was laughingly bad, and CS is horrendous; no reason for it to have been made.
Never understood why they didn't stick with Jones searching for actual historical artifacts or, long-standing mythological items:
- Alexander the Great's tomb
- Gengis Khan's tomb
- King Arthur's sword Excaliber
- Saving Honjo Masamune samurai sword before being lost to the US occupation of Japan
- City of Patiti
- Knights Templar treasury

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
"Raiders" is/was the best by far, because the original always is. "Doom" is a classic video game franchise, but lousy as a movie sequel. Don't understand what Spielberg saw in Capshaw, but she DID give him lotsa heirs to divide his fortune among. "Crusade" is cute because of the father/son interplay. Plus Connery is just an enjoyable actor to watch. Well most of the time.

As for "Skulls", I definitely think someone's skull got knocked around too many times in putting this one together. Maybe wifey Capshaw got on a screaming kick and that got the juices flowing. Or something.

As for how well they hold up...the first and the third are tolerable to watch again every once an a while, I guess. But to me it's a bit like watching "It's a Wonderful Life" over and over again. Pretty sure I got the message the first time around; not sure I need or want it repeated time after time.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I love Raiders and Crusade, I'm fine with Temple. Im so glad they stopped at 3 instead of trying to make a stupid rehash / reboot.

They didn't stop at 3 though.

Are you forgetting about 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

IMO, Crystal Skull should never have been made.

I cringed at Senior Citizen Indy trying to act like he was 30 years younger. Confused

Same with his portrayal of Han Solo in Force Awakens, another movie I thought should never have been made.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are you forgetting about 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

IMO, Crystal Skull should never have been made.

I cringed at Senior Citizen Indy trying to act like he was 30 years younger. Confused

Same with his portrayal of Han Solo in Force Awakens, another movie I thought should never have been made.

Hold on to your hat, but apparently a fifth Indiana Jones is set for production this year with a scheduled release in summer 2020. Ford and Spielberg again, but the big difference is that Lucas and Paramount will not produce, the franchise belongs to Disney.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to see ROTLA play while our symphony performed the original Williams score. It was impressive and fun. Even my kids enjoyed it.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After seeing Raiders, I went out & bought a brown leather jacket. Loved that jacket for years, well worn. Lat year, I bought an A-2 jacket.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Home after a night out and fired up Raiders.

After all these years, this film rocks.

Steven Spielberg knew how to do drama.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Releasing The Crystal Skull was clearly a bone-headed move.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
ROTLA is one of my top 5 movies. A standard of how to make a good movie. I also liked TLC a whole lot. The 4th one was the only movie my wife ever walked out of in the 30 years we've been married.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post