SIGforum
The Indiana Jones movies — do they hold up?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/4080000254

January 11, 2019, 01:31 PM
striker1
The Indiana Jones movies — do they hold up?
I think they do! I have them on DVD but we binge watched the first three on Netflix this past weekend.

I think the music/sound track is still some of best Williams has done. The modeling effects are a bit dated but who cares. The stories are fluid and captivating. I actually like Connery as Dr Jones Sr. And River Ohoenix did a good job capturing the facial nuances of a young Indy.

My favorite is if course ROTLA, followed by Last Crusade, and finally Temple of Doom. I’m not sure I put the 4th movie in with the others simply because the story is idiotic.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

January 11, 2019, 01:42 PM
tigereye313
If we can forget that the fourth one was made, yes they have held up well. I agree with your ranking as well.

January 11, 2019, 01:51 PM
oddball
I think they hold up well.

Good writing, storytelling, and directing go a long way. It helps that the films are period pieces and don't fall into dated pop culture references.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
January 11, 2019, 01:51 PM
Bigboreshooter
quote:
ROTLA, followed by Last Crusade, and finally Temple of Doom

Same^^^......and yes, they do hold up.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

January 11, 2019, 02:27 PM
Hound Dog
I secretly enjoy watching Short Round get smacked around. He is SOOOOOO annoying.

The first two are pretty timeless and hold up quite well. They got progressively worse and I never liked the last 2.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
January 11, 2019, 02:45 PM
Skull Leader
I think I like TLC more than ROTLA.

I've never understood the order they made the movies. The part with young Indy was in the last movie. Why wasn't that in the first movie? And TOD just seems out of place compared to the other two films. If I were to have guessed I would have thought it was the first film made because the other two are so much better.

And I'll just leave this here.
https://www.slashfilm.com/indi...es-5-coming-in-2019/
January 11, 2019, 03:07 PM
LastCubScout
Raiders is just classic epic filmmaking. Like Star Wars before, what a great update to all those old '30s/'40s adventure serials. Ah Raiders, a throwback from my youth when you could shoot people in the head, chop them up with an airplane propeller, and melt their faces off in a rated PG mainstream movie... Big Grin (I guess Temple of Doom squelched that!)

Temple of Doom is just a hilariously insane good time , and Last Crusade was decent.

I still defend Crystal Skull. It falters in its third act, but overall I thought it was a lot of fun. I laughed my ass off at the refrigerator scene - I don't know why so many people had a problem with that. But honestly, that film had me from "Cate Blanchett as an evil psychic Russian agent." Razz
January 11, 2019, 03:40 PM
henryarnaud
Yes, all three Indiana Jones movies hold up.

Big Grin

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
January 11, 2019, 03:44 PM
ArtieS
I think Raiders and The Last Crusade hold up. Temple sucks and Crystal Skull should never have been made.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
January 11, 2019, 03:49 PM
parabellum
The first one holds up, but the others, I could do without.
January 11, 2019, 03:59 PM
Prefontaine
First two, to me, are excellent, and will stand the test of the time. The third one not so much and the 4th was terrible.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
January 11, 2019, 04:00 PM
cas
Temple of doom was far too annoying at the time, I can't imagine it's gotten any better.

Raiders is a masterpiece of sorts and Last Crusade is great fun. I haven't seen that last thing and intend to keep it that way.

January 11, 2019, 04:07 PM
Loswsmith
ROTLA is fantastic. Every time I watch it I'm transformed into the boy in the theater watching it for the first time.

TOD and TLC - I liked TLC okay and can rewatch it. TOD I've only watched the once, 'nuff said.

As to Crystal Skull . . . well, I think the boys at South Park addressed my feelings on that best and that's my opinion on that.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
January 11, 2019, 04:17 PM
jaaron11
Raiders is and always will be a great film. Last Crusade is a very fun film, just not as good as Raiders. Temple of Doom holds up fine, but is noticeably worse than ROTLA and TLC. Crystal Skull makes me want to punch a nun.

J

Rak Chazak Amats
January 11, 2019, 05:35 PM
.38supersig
The first one started with a Chachapoyan temple. It was downhill from there. Ending up in a cesspit when the fourth one starts.

January 11, 2019, 07:02 PM
StarTraveler
Raiders was great. ToD and TLC were good.

quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
As to Crystal Skull . . . well, I think the boys at South Park addressed my feelings on that best and that's my opinion on that.

I can’t think of that movie without thinking of that episode. It’s as wrong as the movie was!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca
January 11, 2019, 07:24 PM
Blue Dog
Raiders of the lost ark is the only one I watch.
January 11, 2019, 08:11 PM
Gustofer
Raiders made me want to become an archeologist. Sadly, I didn't follow that career path. If I had it all to do over, though....

January 11, 2019, 08:20 PM
Floyd D. Barber
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The first one holds up, but the others, I could do without.

Must agree. Temple of Doom was incredibly ridiculous.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

January 12, 2019, 06:11 AM
Blume9mm
I thought one of the interesting points about the first movie was made on the sit com The Big Bang Theory... when it was pointed out that the ending would have been the same regardless of all that Indian Jones did through out the whole movie.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"