SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Centennial Starts Tomorrow On INSP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Centennial Starts Tomorrow On INSP Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I am a historian and this is a great series. I read the book right before the series started. My daughter had just been born and was in Children's hospital in Chicago undergoing surgeries right after her birth. I spent many hours in a bedside chair with the book.

"Centennial is a 12-episode American television miniseries that aired on NBC from October 1978 to February 1979. The miniseries follows the history of Centennial, Colorado, from 1795 to the 1970s. It was based on the 1974 novel of the same name by James A. Michener, was produced by John Wilder.

It was one of the longest and most ambitious television projects ever attempted at the time (c. 21 hours or 26 hours with commercials). It had a budget of US$25 million, employed four directors and five cinematographers, and featured over 100 speaking parts."

It is a great story that starts with the Indians, mountain men, fur traders, cowboys, etc. I have it on VHS and have watched it many times. I think the actors do a great job with Michener's characters. Over the years, I have used many of the character's names when making a reservation or ordering pizza.

Two of my best friends, who live in separate cities turned out to be fans also.

If you like American history or just shows about the West, I think you will enjoy it.

It starts tomorrow on INSP at 8AM CST.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Setting my DVR now.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Great series in my opinion. I have the disc set that gets pulled out once every year and watched one episode per night. Never gets old.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Well worth the investment in time. The series is great but the book is phenomenal. I have read it four or five times. If you enjoy American history, I highly recommend you add it to your reading list.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Love the detail the mini-series format allows for ... too much for today’s short attention span. Wish they did a series on Poland - one of my favorites by Michener.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I watched the first 3 hours this afternoon. Lots of actors from the era: Robert Conrad, Richard Chamberlain, Michael Ansara, Sally Kellerman, Barbara Carrera, and Aaron Burr so far.

The tv series is an interesting mixture of good and bad. Hearing Conrad speak with a French-Canadian accent is pretty funny. Michael Ansara is playing an Arapaho “chief.” He played a lot of American Indians in those years. Did you know he was of Lebanese descent?

The good? Well, in those years I read quite a bit of Michener, including Centennial. I recall thinking that it was a great book. The storyline, at least so far, is equally good.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I recorded the first 2 and was disapointed at some minor scenes that were left out. I remembered them and thought them important to the story. I bought the DVD set off Amazon and am now very happily watching.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the TV series. Read the book when it came oot and enjoyed it.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post