SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    City names that the new local broadcasters really dislike
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

City names that the new local broadcasters really dislike Login/Join 
posted
Here in Iowa they screw up maquoketa, iowa and Okoboji, on a regular basis, its fun , it makes me smile.

In southern Arizona , there is Fort Huachuca.

the new broadcasters that move to Washington state used to mis pronounce Chehalis.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There's a county in Northern Virginia named Fauquier County. I convinced my first wife that it had a slightly different pronunciation than it really has. Everyone except her was amused.

(I also convinced her that the river that runs through Fredericksburg, VA is the 'Fred', not the 'Rappahannock'.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have Kissimmee, which is located right off Lake Tohopekaliga so getyasomeofthat...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Kearney, Madrid, and Beatrice in Nebraska

Dubois and Rawlins here in Wyoming

There are a few on the Big Res in Arizona and there's an old joke about Ajo

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
There's a county in Northern Virginia named Fauquier County. I convinced my first wife that it had a slightly different pronunciation than it really has. Everyone except her was amused.

(I also convinced her that the river that runs through Fredericksburg, VA is the 'Fred', not the 'Rappahannock'.)

Good stuff. My little brother was born at the Fauquier Hospital...I still call him a "Queer" baby Wink

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
there is Fort Huachuca.
I remember that from Scent of a Woman (1992), where it earned an IMDB goof (Errors in geography). I don't know if Pacino pronounced it correctly though.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Fuquay-Varina. Actually, and literally, two separate villages, Fuquay and Varina, separated by railroad tracks.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Bexar county here in Texas is pronounced "Bear". Silent "x". Manchaca in Austin is pronounced Man-check, to all Hispanics chagrin. Burnett is Burn-it.

You know, real 'against common sense' pronunciations.

If this is part of some shtick, I apologize for my ignorance.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
They all need to take lessons from this guy.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I live just outside the Fauquier County line

South of

Man ass ass

Manassas, Va....famous only becaus a lot of people died here in 1861 and 1862

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bexar county here in Texas is pronounced "Bear". Silent "x".

So do the locals pronounce it just like you wrote, or is there a suggestion of two syllables? Like “bay-ar?”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
They all need to take lessons from this guy.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fHxO0UdpoxM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This is why Wheel of Fortune never caught on in Wales. Nobody will buy a damn vowel.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here in Iowa they screw up maquoketa, iowa and Okoboji, on a regular basis, its fun , it makes me smile.

In southern Arizona , there is Fort Huachuca.

the new broadcasters that move to Washington state used to mis pronounce Chehalis.

I can see why.
Growing up in Iowa I am very familiar with those names but the AZ one I would have to think and sound it out. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Well there's Mocanaqua right across the Susquehanna from Shickshinny. You know the place. It's just north of Wapwallopen. Fishing was good along that stretch of the river, back in the '60s and early '70s.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Tucson. Yes the new weather chick on the news got that one wrong the other night and pronounced it Tucksone. Really?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Burnett is Burn-it.
Not calling you on the spelling, but it gets mispronounced that way because people spell it incorrectly. There's only one T.

On that note, Austin does have a few streets/areas that are regularly botched. I remember television commercial calling Cameron Rd. "Cammer-on". And then there's Elgin..not El-jin. Oh, I forgot Guadalupe St. I think that's the only place in Texas that pronounces it "Guadaloop".

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let alone Puyallup, Snoqualmie, Issaquah,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Cherryville NC is pronounced Cher-a-ville.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In California, I've heard some humorous pronunciations for:

Suisun City
Vallejo
Mokelumne River

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Tooele, Mantua and Nephi in Utah.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post