SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    City names that the new local broadcasters really dislike
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

City names that the new local broadcasters really dislike Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
They all need to take lessons from this guy.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fHxO0UdpoxM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I’m thinking even someone who grew up speaking Welsh would have problems with that name.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former Marines, how do you pronounce "Beaufort?"

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
he new broadcasters that move to Washington state used to mis pronounce Chehalis .

That's the first time I have seen that name on the Internet.
I was born in St. Helen's Hospital, Chehalis (barely--doctor didn't get there in time, said my Mom).

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
During a news broadcast, a fire PIO pronounced La Canada exactly how it looks, not La Can ya da. There be a tilde over the N.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gotta wonder about Menominee WI, I bet that gets trashed on a regular basis

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I gotta wonder about Menominee WI, I bet that gets trashed on a regular basis
Never been to Wisconsin, but it looks like it should be pronounced Men-o-min-ee.

Now, try Manitowoc.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Wisconsin and can say these names with no problem. LSU fans have some trouble. Enjoy bendable. Here is the link:
https://www.greenbaypressgazet...2016/09/03/89795850/

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A,. That was painful
B. why didn't they tell us how to pronounce them?
C. there are native american's laughing their asses off, somewhere.

D. At least pro announcers can ask the locals about pronunciation

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
IllinoiSSS

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And DeS Moinessssss

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Don't know about broadcasters, but anyone not local would call "Maryville" just like Mary Ville - but the locals say Muraville in a quick mumble sound. Some tractor place hired an out-of-town guy to read their ad copy and he said it wrong. Everyone knew he "weren't from around here."

Also Blount County and Blountville are pronounced blunt and bluntville by locals.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma has a lot of hard to pronounce Indian towns, but I'll leave those alone. Instead.....

We have Slapout and Hooker. And Bugtussle.

It's not true, but it would be solid gold, if the Hooker School mascot and team name was the Hooker Horny Toads. Alas, it's just the Hooker Bulldogs.

Our neighbor to the east, Arkansas, has a town named Toad Suck. I believe I'd move.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And DeS Moinessssss

Yes but the proper pronounciation for a Chicago suburb is DESSSS PLAINES

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Central Texas has Boerne and Leakey, too. (Bernie and Lakey)

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard people mix up Willamette valley , wa and Wilmette, ill on a couple of occasions

Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Bexar county here in Texas is pronounced "Bear". Silent "x".

So do the locals pronounce it just like you wrote, or is there a suggestion of two syllables? Like “bay-ar?”

Locals pronounce it Bear instead of the Spanish Bey-har.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Former Marines, how do you pronounce "Beaufort?"

As a SC resident, but not a Marine, it's pronounced "Byoo-fert".

Also in SC is Sugartit. Yes, really.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I was looking at a map and found Dickshooter in SW Idaho.

Edit: Not a city and not hard to say LOL.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post