SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Better Call Saul season 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Call Saul season 3 Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Didn't they send the house pics to Chuck's ex-wife to show her he's having big problems? That's why she showed up, no?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
My guess on the 'Bingo'...Kim was goading Chuck after that mediation regarding the tape. I think they just wanted confirmation that there WAS a duplicate. Chuck admitted that the duplicate was destroyed. What I think they were fishing for was Chuck actually planning ahead and baiting Jimmy into a reaction. Using his hatred for his brother. It gave them something they could use as strategy to push Chuck's buttons in the hearing and call into question his mental state and motives.

So, they are not questioning the tapes, and Jimmy copped to being on it, they are questioning the motives, i.e. entrapment. It shows that Chuck, who admitted to the fact, would use any means possible to get 'revenge' on his brother, including playing up his 'condition' to elicit the response...a condition that was undermined by slipping the battery in Chuck's pocket and he not having a reaction to it.

Just my .02.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Chuck was served.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Better Call Saul but it moves just a little too slow. Breaking bad was a better show, but I still like Better call Saul.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The slower pace is clearly a choice. I like it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
The geek in me keeps saying, "a battery that's not installed in anything doesn't have any current flow"... Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
The geek in me keeps saying, "a battery that's not installed in anything doesn't have any current flow"... Wink

Funny, I thought of that as well, but wasn't sure if there are some residual electromagnetic vibrations that leak from loose batteries. I was probably just giving the writers (or Chuck's psychosis) too much benefit of the doubt. ;-)

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:
My guess on the 'Bingo'...Kim was goading Chuck after that mediation regarding the tape. I think they just wanted confirmation that there WAS a duplicate. Chuck admitted that the duplicate was destroyed. What I think they were fishing for was Chuck actually planning ahead and baiting Jimmy into a reaction. Using his hatred for his brother. It gave them something they could use as strategy to push Chuck's buttons in the hearing and call into question his mental state and motives.

So, they are not questioning the tapes, and Jimmy copped to being on it, they are questioning the motives, i.e. entrapment. It shows that Chuck, who admitted to the fact, would use any means possible to get 'revenge' on his brother, including playing up his 'condition' to elicit the response...a condition that was undermined by slipping the battery in Chuck's pocket and he not having a reaction to it.

Just my .02.

Yes, Jimmy admits to being on the tape and later presents this for his motives.

"It comes down to this...in order to understand what I was thinking, you need to see Chuck through my eyes. You need to know if I believed that tape was evidence. And I say it was evidence of only one thing...my brother hates me. Now, he claims that he lied to me to get me to tell the truth. And I'm telling you I lied to my brother to make him feel better."

Good episode. Classic Chuck meltdown.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 811 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
This weeks episode was by far my favorite of the entire series so far. Michael McKean hit it out of the park on this one.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had the same thought, but Chuck's illness isn't a real illness, and the panic that the battery caused in him, the fact that the illness is entirely in his head, and the tirade against Jimmy was the point of the cross examination, not the actual physics of batteries.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I had the same thought, but Chuck's illness isn't a real illness, and the panic that the battery caused in him, the fact that the illness is entirely in his head, and the tirade against Jimmy was the point of the cross examination, not the actual physics of batteries.

Right, but my thinking was that Chuck should likely know that as well, given how intelligent he otherwise is, so should not have become flustered and panicked by its presence.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
quote:
quote:

Right, but my thinking was that Chuck should likely know that as well, given how intelligent he otherwise is, so should not have become flustered and panicked by its presence.

He couldn't because he's a fucking nut job, and proving that was the whole point of the setup.

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He couldn't because he's a fucking nut job, and proving that was the whole point of the setup.

Right. He is a nutjob about two things - the psychosomatic electricity allergy and his belief that Jimmy cannot be a lawyer.

Jimmy's plan was to show that Chuck is a nut, and has an irrational vendetta against him, even though, in this case, he was right - Jimmy committed a grave ethical violation that probably does warrant being disbarred.

Jimmy's whole practice has been on the ethical edge, and over it. There is a decent argument that Chuck's harassment and blackballing of Jimmy forced him into it, but the irony is that Jimmy probably shouldn't have a law license.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Jimmy's whole practice has been on the ethical edge, and over it. There is a decent argument that Chuck's harassment and blackballing of Jimmy forced him into it, but the irony is that Jimmy probably shouldn't have a law license.

Cain vs Abel on another level. Conflicts between brothers always entertaining. The series Rich Man Poor Man had a similar theme. In that one, the dutiful son turns out to be the lesser human being.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
the irony is that Jimmy probably shouldn't have a law license.

In real life maybe. In the spirit of this series as well as BB, not so much. Jimmy bends the rules, but he does a lot of good for his clients. Jimmy never betrays or swindles them. He has a big heart and has, at least of late, gone above and beyond to help his ungrateful sibling.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Jimmy has always been an "Ends justify the means" kind of guy. Lots of unethical stuff that he seems to weasel his way out of.

McKean has given a stellar performance in this show. Swinging from cool collected intellectual to batshit crazy in a few beats.

Posts: 2714 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Jimmy has always been an "Ends justify the means" kind of guy. Lots of unethical stuff that he seems to weasel his way out of.

Of course that is who he is. But the ends don't justify the means.

And McKean is brilliant in the part. Odenkirk is excellent, too. I think Seehorn doesn't get as much credit as she deserves. She isn't as flashy a character, but I see lots of little moments in her performance that are excellent.

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

And McKean is brilliant in the part. Odenkirk is excellent, too. I think Seehorn doesn't get as much credit as she deserves. She isn't as flashy a character, but I see lots of little moments in her performance that are excellent.

I find her acting very flat, toneless...but then again I can't figure out if that's a certain lack of dramatic skill (or comparitively, anyhow, against the rest of the exemplary cast) or if she's just playing a flat character exceedingly well. I would agree, though, that McKean is brilliant...the show really wakes up when he's on screen, as it does when Esposito (Gus) appears.

Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
the irony is that Jimmy probably shouldn't have a law license.

In real life maybe. In the spirit of this series as well as BB, not so much. Jimmy bends the rules, but he does a lot of good for his clients. Jimmy never betrays or swindles them. He has a big heart and has, at least of late, gone above and beyond to help his ungrateful sibling.

This...Jimmy has known all along that Chuck 'illness' was mental. There was the scene earlier in the show, where Chuck was in the hospital, and the Dr. slipped something into the room (can't remember what) that should have warranted a response from Chuck, but he had none. She inconspicuously showed Jimmy, but he has played along and helped his brother regardless. No doubt he loves Chuck, but I think he was just finally tired of his crap.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I find her acting very flat, toneless...but then again I can't figure out if that's a certain lack of dramatic skill (or comparitively, anyhow, against the rest of the exemplary cast) or if she's just playing a flat character exceedingly well. I would agree, though, that McKean is brilliant...the show really wakes up when he's on screen, as it does when Esposito (Gus) appears.

Her character is a bland person. But I see things she does that express weariness with Jimmy's shenanigans while also showing her feelings of wanting to help him and ties to him. She shows a conflict between her own desire to just do her job and her loyalty to Jimmy. I think she is playing the woman who is kind of a wallflower very nicely.