SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Better Call Saul season 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Call Saul season 3 Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my take on Kim is that she was going through the steps of her life in the bar. They were both once lawyers at the biggest, most prestigious firm in ABQ.

Now they are at a bar with Jimmy cycling through cards to make sure the drinks get paid for and trying to figure out ways to scam people out of money. Part of her thousand-yard stare had to be imagining if she never left HHM.

I think she realized that she likes where she is, out on her own, and that she is there because of Jimmy. She is fully on-board with the program. When the insurance company comes by to drop Chuck or increase his premiums she will be there to make sure that he gets the shaft.

Having said that, I am now worried about her. By the time Saul Goodman meets Walter White there is no Kim...so something bad must happen to her.

Dammit, this is what makes shows like this so good!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Having said that, I am now worried about her. By the time Saul Goodman meets Walter White there is no Kim...so something bad must happen to her.

Dammit, this is what makes shows like this so good!

Not necessarily. 2 of the producers were on Talking Saul at the beginning of the season and were asked that very question. They said since you only see Saul as a minor character and mostly only at his office it's entirely possible there's more going on in the background that wasn't seen. They also said they really didn't have any end game as far as how BCS will intersect with BB if at all. I think it gives them more freedom to explore the Jimmy/Saul character since they don't have a defined path they have to take with his story.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it gives them more freedom to explore the Jimmy/Saul character since they don't have a defined path they have to take with his story.

At some point the time line will probably coincide with BB but I don't think they will get into any character interaction, just hints and glimpses. And while I don't know how they would pull off the jump without going into some detail about BB, I see some post BB stories to be told.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
BB intersection notwithstanding, Cinnabon Jimmy could be a whole other story.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
BB intersection notwithstanding, Cinnabon Jimmy could be a whole other story.

Omaha Jimmy is Gene.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Did I miss something? Any idea why hearing about Anita's husband seemed to motivate Mike to call "Pryce," and agree to go with him to meet Nacho?

This was the only thing that seemed pretty clear to me.

Anita's husband got lost in the desert. Mike (and I don't know why he would think Nacho and company would be the only suspects) thinks Nacho would know where the body is. That's why in the final scene, Mike tells Nacho he needs one more thing from him and takes out his notebook.

I assume to write down the location of where Anita's husband's body is buried so that the body will be found and Anita will have closure.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
What I got out of the bar scene is that Kim likes the intellectual exercise of how could we scam them but pulls back when she senses Jimmy is serious about scamming the ahole.

Looks like Kim is going to make the break with Jimmy when she finally gets disgusted with the lengths with which Jimmy is willing to go.

Jimmy seems on the brink of doing something desperate and unethical to make ends meet.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Seems like Kim is starting to have empathy for Chuck and is a bit bothered that Jimmy still has a vendetta. I'm thinking this might be what eventually drives them apart. Someone mentioned earlier that they thought Kim might develop romantic feelings for Chuck. That looks more plausible after this last episode. If not romantic, then some sort of an alliance that's not beneficial to Jimmy.

I think Kim is more guilt ridden than displaying empathy for Chuck. She also takes some vicarious pleasure in scamming people as she and Jimmy look for easy marks in the bar. She is a pretty good enabler and not completely innocent. She encourages some of this scheming herself, but tries to deny it to herself. All the characters are conflicted which makes the program much more realistic and entertaining.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
So whose body did Mike locate in the desert? The doomed truck driver? The "Good Samaritan"? After watching the episode, I think perhaps it's a bit of a stretch to assume it was Anita's missing husband. How or why would Nacho have any knowledge of his whereabouts? Thought?

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
So whose body did Mike locate in the desert? The doomed truck driver? The "Good Samaritan"? After watching the episode, I think perhaps it's a bit of a stretch to assume it was Anita's missing husband. How or why would Nacho have any knowledge of his whereabouts? Thought?

I think it was Anita's husband because it clearly focused on a gold wedding ring.

This was a good episode......but damn....now I have to wait till next week to see the old gangster (forgot his name) take the pills that Nacho put in his jacket. I guess that's how he ended up in a wheel chair and can't talk in BB.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I think it was Anita's husband because it clearly focused on a gold wedding ring.

I considered this possibility though how or why would Nacho have any knowledge of Anita's husband's whereabouts other than perhaps a passing knowledge of another anonymous corpse buried in the desert? I don't recall any clues tying the two men together or her husband to the cartel. Also, her husband went missing 8 years earlier - the remains with the wedding ring were far from skeletal. I'm of the assumption the grave Mike unearthed is that of the "Good Samaritan" Hector ordered killed after the truck heist. I suspect Mike's motivation was to give the dead man's family closure since Mike likely feels somewhat responsible for the death (by orchestrating the heist).

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Watching Nacho, a consummate tough guy, get all sweaty and nervous trying to switch the pills in Hector's jacket was just great drama.

Also the quick cut contrast near the end - Jimmy making his first true under-the-table defense of a bad guy for $700 and obviously liking it. We see Jimmy smiling with the easy money.

Quick cut to Mike pulling literally ropes of money out of his hidey-hole and bored with it all. Mike doesn't care about the cash, he cares about what is right (in his own mind). Just great on-screen drama.

As for the body in the desert my only conclusion is that it is the dead cop, but I must have missed where Mike figured out where it was. IT has to be hidden somewhere in a previous episode.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

As for the body in the desert my only conclusion is that it is the dead cop, but I must have missed where Mike figured out where it was. IT has to be hidden somewhere in a previous episode.

What "dead cop?" Did I miss (or am not remembering) something about a cop killing? I first assumed it was Anita's husband, but then realized like hjs157 that the remains were far too fresh for that...the "good samaritan" would then seem to be the correct guess. I agree that seeing ice-cold Nacho filled with anxiety and Jimmy's first(ish) foray into easy money (the $700 deal) were both great moments.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
the "good samaritan" would then seem to be the correct guess.

I agree. Mike asked Nacho "one more thing" at the end of the previous episode. The location of the body seems to fit the request.

-D.H. Lawrence

Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the whole Anita's husband thing and her anguish over his disappearance was just a simple vehicle (and a bit of a red herring) to spur Mike on to follow his troubled conscience and locate the good samaritan so that his family would not have to anguish for years like Anita has.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
OK you guys have convinced me that the body is most likely NOT Anita's husband.

Good samaritan seems more likely now.

Still loving the progression of Jimmy into Saul.

Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:

I am enjoying the show immensely. I did however see the manipulation of the Community Services guy to be pretty unbelievable. A guy that deals with cons all day long is not likely to be frightened by the thought of some legal suit or court action. I did enjoy the dialogue, but found the convincing of the guy to be pretty unrealistic. An extortion scheme of a different type would be more believable. The scams that work on greedy businessmen do not work on scumbags that supervise court ordered work programs. JMHO

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I am enjoying the show immensely. I did however see the manipulation of the Community Services guy to be pretty unbelievable. A guy that deals with cons all day long is not likely to be frightened by the thought of some legal suit or court action. I did enjoy the dialogue, but found the convincing of the guy to be pretty unrealistic. An extortion scheme of a different type would be more believable. The scams that work on greedy businessmen do not work on scumbags that supervise court ordered work programs. JMHO

Those bully types are always insecure and always back down when you give it back to them twice as hard as they gave it to you. He knew Jimmy knew his shit with what he was telling him and it was true.......But that scene, clearly showed Jimmy really enjoyed bending the rules and doing unethical things to help out a criminal and make a quick buck, but he loved the challenge of it.

I thought this was the best episode of the season, between Nacho swapping the pills and Jimmy's antics.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Watching Nacho swap those pills gave me anxiety. Great acting. That was tough to watch and just a great scene.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Watching Nacho swap those pills gave me anxiety. Great acting. That was tough to watch and just a great scene.

Agree. After he replaced the pills, there was a close up of Hector's face looking down into his books. I was certain he was going to glance up as to indicate he knew something was up. When he didn't, you knew he was safe. Such good TV.

As for Jimmy, I'm really enjoying the slow transformation (or reinvention of Slipping Jimmy) into Saul.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah the transformation into Saul is definitely happening now right before our very eyes. I think it's going to start happening a little faster with him being so desperate.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post