SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    American Assassin Trailer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Assassin Trailer Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Nice, they completely Hollywooded Rapp's origin story. Roll Eyes

I was kinda expecting Bruce Willis or Tommy Lee Jones to play Hurley.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My understanding was Willis was first choice but something couldn't be made to work

I like Keaton though

That's pretty much where my satisfaction with the cast ends

I always thought Irene Kennedy was a blonde woman

The actor they chose for Rapp looks more like a hipster than an all American lacrosse player turned assassin

And why the fuck did you need to change the origin?

Not off to a great start, IMO

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see Taylor Kitsch in something finally.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
My understanding was Willis was first choice but something couldn't be made to work

I like Keaton though

That's pretty much where my satisfaction with the cast ends

The actor they chose for Rapp looks more like a hipster than an all American lacrosse player turned assassin

And why the fuck did you need to change the origin?

Not off to a great start, IMO
Agreed. The casting in this is almost as bad as the casting in Reacher.

The lead looks like the guy in the friend zone who women cry on his shoulder after a lacrosse player dumps them.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A whole lot of bizarre casting choices - but I've been such a big fan of the books, that I'd give the movie a chance to see if it works.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
A whole lot of bizarre casting choices - but I've been such a big fan of the books, that I'd give the movie a chance to see if it works.

Same here. I'll watch with low expectations to reduce the disappointment.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the casting of Rapp. Looks like the kind of guy that could evolve. Certainly not what I pictured when I read the books but my vision of him is . kdifferent from everyone else's here.

Irene is not even close to what I picutered or anyone else I know. I pictured a mild mannered looking brunette.

Keaton will do OK as Hurley I think though I always pictured someone like Ed Harris.

The setup change, removing the Lockerbie bombing was surpising, but I suppose for the movie series they wanted to have a current terror attack.

Overall, I'm excited.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see it opening night since I can now reserve seats at my local theater. I have my concerns but will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I really want this to be good. I'm afraid to get my hopes up, though.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:

...The setup change, removing the Lockerbie bombing was surpising, but I suppose for the movie series they wanted to have a current terror attack...

Good point. I'm sure many people have never heard of Lockerbie or Pan Am Airlines.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:

...The setup change, removing the Lockerbie bombing was surpising, but I suppose for the movie series they wanted to have a current terror attack...

Good point. I'm sure many people have never heard of Lockerbie or Pan Am Airlines.

That was also a quarter century ago. Doing a period piece can be an unneeded complication.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Currently showing on Netflix, I missed this when it first came around. I'm going to watch it to the end because I'm nursing a cold, but I had a couple of WTF? momements early on, and they're still occurring!

First of all, the guy playing Mitch Rapp isn't at all like what I'd envision. Dylan O'Brien, who plays Rapp is roughly the same age as Rapp when he was recruited, so I'll give him a pass on that, but shirtless on the beach, he hardly looks the part.

Then, there's the awful gun handling. Save for the bozo act of crossing the firing line to the anger and astonishment of others at a shooting range, the gunplay is strictly Hollyweird.

Supposedly, American Assassin was to be the first in a series of Mitch Rapp movies. It must not have inspired the studios, as there's not been a sequel, as far as I know.

Bruce Willis, whose career has been circling the drain lately, did not appear in this movie, although the role played by Michael Keaton was supposedly his. In my opinion, that's one good career move this time, Mr. Willis.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I heard Keaton was going to play Hurley I thought "WTF??", mainly because I had a hard time getting past some crap he's done in the past like Beetlejuice. But then it took me a LONG time to forgive Tom Hanks for Bosom Buddies, and he turned out all right. But I finally got a chance to watch it over the weekend. I agree the guy they cast as Rapp didn't really do it for me (one thing the books always talk about is how Rapp is darker skinned so he blends in with Middle Eastern populations), but otherwise it was OK. And Keaton actually came off pretty well as Hurley.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

Huh. I always pictured her as black. Sort of Condy-ish.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
According to the book, Irene is black. I read all the Flynn era book and love all of them. The Mills one, not so much. I can read/feel the difference in style. I can't watch the movie the second time, even for free.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:
According to the book, Irene is black. I read all the Flynn era book and love all of them. The Mills one, not so much. I can read/feel the difference in style. I can't watch the movie the second time, even for free.

Being from MN, Vince was on local radio often. He was so tied in, but still so down to earth; I wanted to like Mills’ books so bad.

But nope...it’s just not the Mitch Rapp I fell in love with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Good lord what a piece of hot garbage. I’ve read all of the Rapp books, starting with American Assassin. The movie was quite the departure.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post